News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

EME-150 A Speed & alignment adjustment

Started by Searchin2010, Yesterday at 22:32

Previous topic - Next topic

Searchin2010

Hello,
Having had an Amstrad CPC6128 growing up; I'm now back into it as a hobby.
I have recently purchased an early 6128 with an EME-150 A, FDD.
After replacing the belt cleaning the head and lubricating the rails and worm drive, it loaded discs for a few tries but now doesn't. All I'm getting is "read fail" I've tried with system discs and copies that work fine on my 664.
I think it may be require speed calibration and alignment but I can't find any you tube clips or tutorials for the EME-150 A floppy disk drive.

Does anyone have any insight they could share please? Any help appreciated.

Here is what it looks like:
https://youtube.com/shorts/yMxBOQ9V0UI?feature=share

MoteroV4

Hello, you can try the program "Dsktest.dsk" or better "cdt" if the drive not read. Go to option 5, wait a few seconds and it will show the RPM. Adjust the motor screw very slightly, with a flat screwdriver, to the right or left and measure again until you get 300.00 RPM +-3.0 rpm.

You cannot view this attachment.

Released cpc games: Memtrainer, El Gerente (Remake)

Searchin2010

Quote from: MoteroV4 on Yesterday at 23:40Hello, you can try the program "Dsktest.dsk" or better "cdt" if the drive not read. Go to option 5, wait a few seconds and it will show the RPM. Adjust the motor screw very slightly, with ...

Thanks for taking the time to help me out, MoteroV4
a couple of questions:
to run that file, will I need to get some sort of external gotek type solution? If so can you direct me to the part of this place I can find more info?
secondly, the motor in my FDD doesn't look like yours. Is the speed adjustment the screw on mine?

Ok, I haven't figured out how to attach photos yet; but you can see in the video link above. 

eto

Quote from: Searchin2010 on Today at 10:43Ok, I haven't figured out how to attach photos yet; but you can see in the video link above. 
Don't use "Quick Reply" when you want to attach pictures but rather the "Reply" button on the last post in a thread. 

When using Quick Reply, the attach functionality is missing. In case you hit "Quick Reply" and want to attach pictures, click on "Preview". This switches to full edit mode with attachments. 

MoteroV4

Quote from: Searchin2010 on Today at 10:43
Quote from: MoteroV4 on Yesterday at 23:40Hello, you can try the program "Dsktest.dsk" or better "cdt" if the drive not read. Go to option 5, wait a few seconds and it will show the RPM. Adjust the motor screw very slightly, with ...

Thanks for taking the time to help me out, MoteroV4
a couple of questions:
to run that file, will I need to get some sort of external gotek type solution? If so can you direct me to the part of this place I can find more info?
secondly, the motor in my FDD doesn't look like yours. Is the speed adjustment the screw on mine?

Ok, I haven't figured out how to attach photos yet; but you can see in the video link above. 

I couldn't see your video yesterday because it was set to private.
This model is different and regulates the motor speed with the VR201 potentiometer on the circuit board.

I don't have Gotek on CPC. Instead I put a 3.5" drive as unit B (there are tutorials) and another one on a old PC, with a native connector other than USB. That way I can write discs and make transfers on the CPC from 3.5" to 3" and vice versa. I make the 3.5" 40 tracks 180KB disc using CPCDiskXP under Windows from a .dsk image.

But maybe the quickest way to load now for you, would be to play the CDT from a PC with Winape or RVM, connect a cable from the speaker output of the PC to the Tape din connector of the CPC6128.
Released cpc games: Memtrainer, El Gerente (Remake)

Bryce

Quote from: Searchin2010 on Yesterday at 22:32Hello,
Having had an Amstrad CPC6128 growing up; I'm now back into it as a hobby.
I have recently purchased an early 6128 with an EME-150 A, FDD.
After replacing the belt cleaning the head and lubricating the rails and worm drive, it loaded discs for a few tries but now doesn't. All I'm getting is "read fail" I've tried with system discs and copies that work fine on my 664.
I think it may be require speed calibration and alignment but I can't find any you tube clips or tutorials for the EME-150 A floppy disk drive.

Does anyone have any insight they could share please? Any help appreciated.

Here is what it looks like:
https://youtube.com/shorts/yMxBOQ9V0UI?feature=share

Unfortunately, the EME-150A is more troublesome than all other CPC drive models. It's known to often have "wear and tear" issues with the head mechanism, that are sadly not repairable. I would suggest using your money to buy one of the other CPC drive versions, if you can find one on ebay.

Bryce.