News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Zaxon Just CPC4 ATX Keyboard.

Started by Batfink, 18:25, 25 June 24

Previous topic - Next topic

Batfink

I recently got a Just CPC4 ATX from Zaxon and want a UK based keyboard. 

I'm very quickly building up a graveyard of keyboards that don't work or do work that I don't like. 

Hopefully I'm allowed to post links in here. 

This one below works, but it's a little squished, my first computer was the 464 and it very much shaped me as to what kind of keyboard I like.

https://www.amazon.com.au/gp/aw/d/B01M4GIVOY?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

This one below doesn't work even though it's from the same maker... Which is a shame cause it's way more 464 shaped. 

https://www.amazon.com.au/gp/aw/d/B0CMDFCYCH?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

I believe it's a power issue, the longer keyboard is 5.5v, the shorter one is 5v. 

I've managed to make the longer keyboard work but it's a total hack and not a long term solution, I took one of those cheap PS2 KVMS that have two outputs. 

Plug one of the purple ps2 plugs into another computer, if it's a modern enough computer it will power the small kvm even if the computer isn't on. 

Plug the keyboard into the input keyboard slot on the kvm and the other KVM ps2 keyboard into the CPC, this will give the keyboard enough power to allow it work... Basically it looks like a purple and green squiggly octopus. 

I've got a couple of older ps2 keyboards that I'll later take pictures of or provide links to but they're US style keyboards. 

I even found two USB keyboards that work via those janky ps2 to usb adapters below, however they're also US keyboards and not particularly great. 

https://www.amazon.com.au/DKARDU-Adapter-Keyboard-Replacement-NR-US-334A/dp/B09WV5JMKS/ref=mp_s_a_1_18?crid=2HCR5VN9XXRRA&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.MLFUUHJaVfElKiR4UKA64l7EsxGecZGQlZMyQ7V2uYk5TXVj55oa3CckZbKuwCEbR9bO_tRalEIIraPBi9iyiSEkDKH0BMDedWVi2bm1MHEUlDZnmFRGExtqQ5wMuTUI1Bpjr7fqDpDsI8vD54NV5b16xI3fdEpDgF2HWD_w-QOGJ7GxeITQ9IbJ7n8oe4aOnE7ujR2TL9cwuqBreGl25Q.qZGH-PHuyydwgDjV94yONQ51bxAbG6dkwQohjB3H58A&dib_tag=se&keywords=Ps2+to+usb&qid=1719335991&sprefix=ps2+to+usb%2Caps%2C344&sr=8-18

I'm hoping to maybe build up a bit of a database here on what keyboards work, what don't, what you're using, if it didn't work did you manage to get it to work, if so how? 

dodogildo

I don't know if USB keyboards works for you but Simulant.uk sells great retro themed keyboards such as this one:

You cannot view this attachment.
M'enfin!

XLV2K

Can you tell me how you contacted Zaxon about it and how much did it cost? in PM, if its not permitted in the public forum. Thanks.

Batfink

Quote from: dodogildo on 20:16, 25 June 24I don't know if USB keyboards works for you but Simulant.uk sells great retro themed keyboards such as this one:

You cannot view this attachment.
It looks amazing and I'm salivating at the bit at the thought of it working, but I'd be VERY surprised if it works.

When I get a chance I'll post pictures of the two usb keyboards I've managed to get working, but they are very simple membrane keyboards with very thin cables.

I've tried numerous mechanical usb keyboard and so far haven't gotten a peep out of them, and I'm not sure if that is a power thing or just not compatible, because I've also have really basic membrane usb keyboards with thin cables that DON'T work.

Thats why I'm trying to build up this post and hopefully get people to share what keyboards they've got that are working.

dodogildo

I used to have a similar problem with my MSX 2+ clone and it turned out that only "USB keyboards with PS/2 protocol" were working. Most probably it's similar with your situation. (Eventually I quit looking out and acquired a NOS PS/2 Compaq Keyboard from a local marketplace.)

M'enfin!

Batfink

Quote from: dodogildo on 07:45, 26 June 24I used to have a similar problem with my MSX 2+ clone and it turned out that only "USB keyboards with PS/2 protocol" were working. Most probably it's similar with your situation. (Eventually I quit looking out and acquired a NOS PS/2 Compaq Keyboard from a local marketplace.)

Except I've literally got a ps2 keyboard that doesn't work without a work around, does that mean I've got a ps2 keyboard without ps2 protocols hmmmm.

Whilst pursuing the net I actually did see some usb keyboards that I liked that mentioned ps2 protocols but I hadn't taken that into consideration as an issue, and given the low number of usb keyboards I'd gotten working and the cost of some of those keyboards, it could very quickly become a bottomless money pit filled with keyboards  :laugh:.

God I would love a RGB (don't care what colour, my pc one is a skanky GAMEMAX with clicky keys and a different colour for every row of keys, you can change it but it reverts back to the same format everytime the computer is turned off, I only want RGB cause my work area is a little dim) keyboard with even the most basic mechanical cheap keys in the shape of the long keyboard I bought or Simulants one.

I deliberately picked that long one because it has no wasted space, no large bezels on the top or bottom.