News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Converting games to .CPR cartridge images - 128KB (no stock GX4000)

Started by Solo Kazuki, 12:38, 23 May 24

Previous topic - Next topic

Solo Kazuki

Maybe someone can convert these games to CPR?
http://www.retroworks.es/php/juegos.php?platform=3
I'm interested especially in The Sword of Ianna.

These games can work with 68KB. That's why I'm not happy with changed topic to 128KB, as it may suggest it's only about 128KB, which is not my intention.

Solo Kazuki

Quote from: iXien on 19:54, 26 May 24If this might interest anyone, here is a list I made of games patched for the GX4000 which automatically benefit from additional features if you have 128K  ;) :

Alien Storm = Ability to choose main character with separate sprites
Badlands = Additional music and SFX
Chase H.Q. = Digitize speeches.
Dragon Ninja = Digitize speeches.
Gryzor = Ingame music
Hero Quest = Recoloured Sorcerer's background & hardware sprites.
Italy 90 = SFX + more animations and GFX
Lemmings = Music and SFX
Mutants = Music
Prehistorik 2 = Specific Plus version
Road Blasters = Music
Robocop = Digitize speeches.
Shadow Of The Beast = Music
Shinobi = Music and SFX.
Stunt Car Racer = Ability to go back to keyboard keys redefinition even while playing.
Super Monaco Gp = Additional background GFX in game menus.
Switchblade = Title screen with high score table and music.
Untouchables (The) = Music and SFX
Thanks. This is useful info.

Solo Kazuki

Quote from: eto on 12:52, 26 May 24Find attached

• Adios A la Casta
  • Atic Atac
  • Edge Grinder
  • Let's Go
  • Mr. Heli
  • Red Sunset
  • Star Sabre

These are straight DSK to CPR conversions I did a while ago for my 128K GX4000. Nothing has been done for the controls but the games play fine without keyboard.

It's good start. I hope more titles appears as CPR cartridge images.

andycadley

Quote from: Solo Kazuki on 07:42, 11 June 24.
These games can work with 68KB. That's why I'm not happy with changed topic to 128KB, as it may suggest it's only about 128KB, which is not my intention.
Most "128K" games don't necessarily use all 128K. But there's no real practical expansion that doesn't add another 64K so it's as good a label as anything really.

eto

Quote from: Solo Kazuki on 07:42, 11 June 24I'm interested especially in The Sword of Ianna.
That's a totally different story. The Sword of Ianna has been developed for the Dandanator platform which offers additional features compared to a stock CPC/Plus/GX4000. Afaik The Sword of Ianna takes advantage of enhanced ROM paging and thus can't be converted to a CPR. At least not without access to source code and probably some intense changes to the code. 

Quote from: Solo Kazuki on 07:42, 11 June 24as it may suggest it's only about 128KB, which is not my intention.

Afaik there is no game that needs more than 128K of RAM and there is no RAM expansion that offers less than 64KB of additional RAM.

And for normal 64KB conversions there is already a different thread. So the only relevant point for this thread can be games that require 128K.

Solo Kazuki

dthrone

Quote from: Solo Kazuki on 06:50, 12 June 24There are some productions at pouët which are in CPR format but requires 128kB (or just are not present in other topic)

Games:
Ghosts 'n Goblins 128k [previev] (golem13 version)

Demos:
CRTC³
GX 8K
Rouleau de printemps
Tempus Fugit
USS Cygnus 192
Veteran Megademo
x17

The difference is that these were produced in .cpr format from the outset rather than being converted from other formats.

Solo Kazuki

Quote from: dthrone on 15:11, 12 June 24
Quote from: Solo Kazuki on 06:50, 12 June 24There are some productions at pouët which are in CPR format but requires 128kB (or just are not present in other topic)

Games:

Demos:
CRTC³
GX 8K
Rouleau de printemps
Tempus Fugit
USS Cygnus 192
Veteran Megademo
x17

The difference is that these were produced in .cpr format from the outset rather than being converted from other formats.
Like some games and demos in GX4000 topic.  So what?

dthrone

Quote from: Solo Kazuki on 16:10, 12 June 24

Games:

Demos:
CRTC³
GX 8K
Rouleau de printemps
Tempus Fugit
USS Cygnus 192
Veteran Megademo
x17

I thought this topic was specifically about converting 128kb CPC games  to .cpr for use on the plus/GX whereas G&G 128kb doesn't full under that category, that's what I meant by 'difference'.

Solo Kazuki

Quote from: dthrone on 16:23, 12 June 24
Quote from: Solo Kazuki on 16:10, 12 June 24

Games:

Demos:
CRTC³
GX 8K
Rouleau de printemps
Tempus Fugit
USS Cygnus 192
Veteran Megademo
x17

I thought this topic was specifically about converting 128kb CPC games  to .cpr for use on the plus/GX whereas G&G 128kb doesn't full under that category, that's what I meant by 'difference'.
Like GX4000 one is specifically about converting, but also there are games and demos which were already in cpr format. It's with no sense to made different topic, or change name of this one.

RockRiver

Hi mates in CPR128 !!!
My GX4128 is SugarPi (sugarbox baremetal for Rasperry) and my CPC6128+ will be happy too.

CPR/c4cpc/play2cpc give new life to our CPCs [6128classic too]

Two paths here:

* CPR128classic
* CPR128plus
‐---------------------------------

CPC+ 128k ram only games (CPR):

•Death Sword
•Culotte Zelda

Others to pass from DSK to CPR:

- Rick Dangerous 128+
- Tetris Gameboy Emulator
- bumpy's
- Call OEUF
- Jet Set Willy 2+
- Burger Party
- Storm Lord
- Strider Blade
- Operation Wolf +  (64k , will be for the other place GX4000 )

CPR128classic I wanna to do:
- Prohibition128 (bigger screen and tilt one)
- Toki (2 sides DSK, maybe difficult)
- Galactic Tomb 128
- Bucaneer
- Casanova

andycadley

Quote from: RockRiver on 16:56, 24 June 24- Jet Set Willy 2+

There's really no reason that couldn't run directly from cartridge on a standard GX, it was disk based mostly to encourage the development of Plus emulators and there wasn't a standard for cartridges at the time (let alone much chance of anyone interested in a C4CPC type device, how times have changed!) In fact re-working it will probably solve a bunch of issues in places because then there's a lot more RAM free to store the current screens worth of sprites in a decompressed format.

Maybe I'll try and dust off the source code when winter comes around again and actually rework it to be a proper cartridge build.

iXien

Quote from: RockRiver on 16:56, 24 June 24Hi mates in CPR128 !!!
My GX4128 is SugarPi (sugarbox baremetal for Rasperry) and my CPC6128+ will be happy too.

CPR/c4cpc/play2cpc give new life to our CPCs [6128classic too]

Two paths here:

* CPR128classic
* CPR128plus
‐---------------------------------

CPC+ 128k ram only games (CPR):

•Death Sword
•Culotte Zelda

Others to pass from DSK to CPR:

- Rick Dangerous 128+
- Tetris Gameboy Emulator
- bumpy's
- Call OEUF
- Jet Set Willy 2+
- Burger Party
- Storm Lord
- Strider Blade
- Operation Wolf +  (64k , will be for the other place GX4000 )

CPR128classic I wanna to do:
- Prohibition128 (bigger screen and tilt one)
- Toki (2 sides DSK, maybe difficult)
- Galactic Tomb 128
- Bucaneer
- Casanova

Stormlord and Operation Wolf have already been converted to all GX4000, and upgraded some months ago  ;)

Converting DSK to CPR files is really easy. If you want, I can convert all these DSK to CPR, but of course keyboard will be required just as on floppy disk. Patching them, I mean with ergonomic joypad controls and not no matter how, it's another story.
http://homebrew.amstradtoday.com, the only website dedicated to CPC homebrew games.

iXien

Quote from: andycadley on 16:49, 25 June 24
Quote from: RockRiver on 16:56, 24 June 24- Jet Set Willy 2+

There's really no reason that couldn't run directly from cartridge on a standard GX, it was disk based mostly to encourage the development of Plus emulators and there wasn't a standard for cartridges at the time (let alone much chance of anyone interested in a C4CPC type device, how times have changed!) In fact re-working it will probably solve a bunch of issues in places because then there's a lot more RAM free to store the current screens worth of sprites in a decompressed format.

Maybe I'll try and dust off the source code when winter comes around again and actually rework it to be a proper cartridge build.
That's it! All 128K games require such memory because of the floppy disk, needing to copy all datas to RAM before being able to exploit them. But if a 128k game is modified to access to datas directly from cartridge, all games can work with 64Kb. Megadrive itself delivered us all its wonders with only 64K RAM  8)
http://homebrew.amstradtoday.com, the only website dedicated to CPC homebrew games.

RockRiver

I was refrerring to:

Operation Wolf cpc+ colors version by Hermol

And Stormlord cpc+ colors version too , 128k by Futurs

[I love too the amazing work of Ayor61 and others to recolouring to CPCplus new palettes]

eto

Quote from: iXien on 18:45, 25 June 24Converting DSK to CPR files is really easy.
In all cases? I think if the games don't use the firmware to load files it's not possible, or am I wrong?

And if the game needs 2 or more sides, it won't fit. Even the special format would not enough for two sided games. 

(Btw: with which tool do I copy files to that special format DSK image? I tried recently and it simply didn't work.)

iXien

Quote from: eto on 08:55, 26 June 24
Quote from: iXien on 18:45, 25 June 24Converting DSK to CPR files is really easy.
In all cases? I think if the games don't use the firmware to load files it's not possible, or am I wrong?

And if the game needs 2 or more sides, it won't fit. Even the special format would not enough for two sided games.

(Btw: with which tool do I copy files to that special format DSK image? I tried recently and it simply didn't work.)
Not in all cases, but most cases. You're right, you can have problem with custom firmwares but since 2015 and the launch of GX4000 game patching, we can say that the cases games requiring to modify the firmware are very rare. Usually a cracked version or another in plain files and using standard disc access routine is available.
After that of course there is the case of multi-sided games. But once again, we are talking of really few games is you eliminate all adventure or RPG games requiring savings and keyboard inputs, making them impossible to play on GX4000.

In the list from @RockRiver , only Bumpy's Arcade Fantasy and Toki are using both sides of the floppy disc. All the others would be, I think, easy to convert after some verifications of course. And I say "converted to CPR", not patched to be fully playable on joypad.

But once again, considering 128K games, my opinion is that it would be better to patch the games to work on every GX4000, using datas on the fly from the cartridge (because that the idea of a cartridge) rather than workaround the problem giving 128K to a console that doesn't require it to work perfectly  ;) 

RockRiver

Ok!! while some good coder apears (not me sorry), I will try some 128k needed DSK to CPR

starting with those that use joystick and in which you enter the game with the fire