News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Best Mode 0 games?

Started by MaV, 13:09, 17 August 11

Previous topic - Next topic

TFM

There are a lot of beautiful, advanced games from Spain like Game Over (I, II). That huge moster is amazing!!! Dynamic did a whole lot of good stuff.
And one of the best games also could be ..... can't remember its name, it playes in the stone time... was released 1992 I guess. Back to work now...
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

Xyphoe

Quote from: TFM/FS on 17:10, 23 September 11
There are a lot of beautiful, advanced games from Spain like Game Over (I, II). That huge moster is amazing!!! Dynamic did a whole lot of good stuff.
And one of the best games also could be ..... can't remember its name, it playes in the stone time... was released 1992 I guess. Back to work now...

You mean Prehistorik II?

Also the Spanish games... yes many of them looked great and surprised that many of them went with proper scrolling, but the frame rate on the scroll was never that great.

TFM

TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

SyX

Well, there is a lot of interesting spanish games, although i think that out of Spain are only known the games of Dinamic and Topo... and Opera in  France, because Ubi published its games.

My favourite spanish games are from Opera (very difficult games, but very nice and a wonderful graphics in mode 0 and 1, too), Zigurat/Made In Spain (all of its games until 1990 are really good, and i like specially the games that they published from GameSoft-Commando Cuatro- and Arcadia - Arkos, El Poder Oscuro, Curro Jimenez-), the interactive fictions of Aventuras AD (i love this kind of games and they made a wonderful work always)... and after the five most important companies (Dinamic, Topo, Opera, Zigurat and Aventuras AD), there is a lot of small independent companies with a lot of little great games, how Gorbaf, El Enigma de Aceps or the first games of Indescomp (the people of Plaga Galactica and founders of Opera) how Fumiga or Super Tripper,...

fgbrain

I think I should add to your list some great games (in Mode 0) produced by French people
like Microids, Ere Informatique and Infogrames:

Grand Prix 500 2
Prince Of Persia
Karateka
Captain BLOOD
Purple Saturn Day
North & South
_____

6128 (UK keyboard, Crtc type 0/2), 6128+ (UK keyboard), 3.5" and 5.25" drives, Reset switch and Digiblaster (selfmade), Inicron Romram box, Bryce Megaflash, SVideo & PS/2 mouse, , Magnum Lightgun, X-MEM, X4 Board, C4CPC, Multiface2 X4, RTC X4 and Gotek USB Floppy emulator.

SyX

Of course, fgbrain, there is a lot of great mode 0 french games, i like La Formule, Pacific, Crafton Et Xunk, Stryfe, Billy La Banlieue I and II, Charly Diams, Bactron, ... i could not stop  ;D

MacDeath

Was Budokan cited already ?

It simply looks so good !

dragon

QuoteWas Budokan cited already ?

Is street fighter type?

Another(tron based game),

(the movie es pc version,i not found a video in cpc version).

arkive

I don't see anybody mention Savage, isn't this a Mode 0 game too?

abalore

Donkey Kong and Arkanoid

retro space

I think Rick Dangerous 2 is beautiful in Mode 0.

But why the S-Video modulator when the machine throws perfect RGB? I had massive problems to find a screen to deal with the S-video of a C64, where RGB TV's are everywhere for close to nothing (assuming you are in CPC sales territory and no Yankee with a niche hobby).
I've a 1084 for the C64 now, but it still looks scheiße, where the 1084 delivers crystal clear CPC images in every mode. Only 80-character output from the C128 is clean on the 1084, which is quite weird for a Commodore branded display. Probably the VIC chip is the electronic design disaster, the 1084 is just a quality Philips display with a C128 input port attached.
Teaching computer science on a high school with the CPC, P2000T, Spectrum and C64.

dodogildo

For me, not all Mode 0 games are perfect (on the contrary) but here are my favorites:

Rick Dangerous 2 (The most beautiful gfx of all 8bits versions)
Operation Wolf
Renagade
Les Tuniques Bleues
Gryzor
Arkanoid
Revenge of Doh
Purple Saturn Day
Chase HQ
Turrican
M'enfin!

BSC

Donkey Kong
Pinball Dreams
Prehistorik 2
Pyjamarama (I loved the big colorful sprites and items)
Renegade
Sorcery(+)
** My SID player/tracker AYAY Kaeppttn! on github **  Some CPC music and experiments ** Other music ** More music on scenestream (former nectarine) ** Some shaders ** Some Soundtrakker tunes ** Some tunes in Javascript

My hardware: ** Schneider CPC 464 with colour screen, 64k extension, 3" and 5,25 drives and more ** Amstrad CPC 6128 with M4 board, GreaseWeazle.

cwpab

From the ones mentioned, the ones I had as a kid were Batman The Movie, Cauldron 2, Robocop, Ikari Warriors, Bruce Lee, Arkanoid 2, Gryzor, Pyjamarama and Sorcery.

Pyjamarama is an interesting game: made by Amsoft... with 6 colors in mode 0. Perhaps they should have took some notes on how the Saboteur ports were handled by removing some blues here and there to create a much crisp and faithful image. So yeah, I disagree with mentioning this one (even if it's a good game for many.. not for me, hate that inventory system).

Since I can't mention Pink Panther and Asterix and the Magic Carpet due to bad gameplay, I guess I will add... er...

Dragon Ninja, After Burner and Yie Ar Kung Fu.  8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

cwpab

Since I wrote this second message by mistake (trying to edit the previous one!), I will add:

- Imagine some classic mode 1 games, even the ones who look GREAT, remade in mode 0: Saboteur 1 and 2, Matchday 2, Head over Heels, all the GAC text adventures... what do you think?

dodogildo

Quote from: cwpab on 14:02, 15 June 24Since I wrote this second message by mistake (trying to edit the previous one!), I will add:

- Imagine some classic mode 1 games, even the ones who look GREAT, remade in mode 0: Saboteur 1 and 2, Matchday 2, Head over Heels, all the GAC text adventures... what do you think?

Saboteur on CPC doesn't need more colors. It needs more responsive, less laggy gameplay. 
M'enfin!

abalore

In general, I think filmation games look better in mode 1: Batman, Head Over Heels, La Abadia del Crimen, The Great Escape...

I don't think the extra color would improve them, because the loss of detail.

abalore

Quote from: dodogildo on 17:57, 15 June 24
Quote from: cwpab on 14:02, 15 June 24Since I wrote this second message by mistake (trying to edit the previous one!), I will add:

Saboteur on CPC doesn't need more colors. It needs more responsive, less laggy gameplay.

Exactly that, Saboteur needs a more than doable speed up. The night setting makes it not really need more colors.

Herman

Antiriad
Cauldron
Fruity Frank

(Antiriad looks very atmospheric. Fruity Frank, on the other hand, has simple graphics, but it looks like fresh, crunchy fruit, fitting the title of the game well).

abalore

Quick concept of mode 0 Saboteur

arkive

Saboteur: The Barbie Years  8)

cwpab

I'm a ninja
In a secret compound
There are dogs, there are guards
Things are nasty

You can punch
You can kick
If you say
I've got the disk

Uh oh uh

I'm a ninja boy, jumping off a boat
Life in mode 1, is for no one
You can make me crouch, when water is around
The helicopter is not exactly shorter

dodogildo

I'd be great if someone would come up with a black and white Saboteur. It would be very atmospheric.
M'enfin!

norecess464

Quote from: dodogildo on 19:30, 18 June 24I'd be great if someone would come up with a black and white Saboteur. It would be very atmospheric.
I don't know about a black and white Saboteur, but I can provide you with a full-black Saboteur (or full-white, your choice); I promise you something even more immersive!!!
KIDDING.  ;D
I agree, MODE 2 games on Amstrad are too rare. I have great visual memories of Bollaware's Fres Attack (https://www.cpc-power.com/index.php?page=detail&num=2342).
My personal website: https://norecess.cpcscene.net
My current project is Sonic GX, a remake of Sonic the Hedgehog for the awesome Amstrad GX-4000 game console!

abalore

A green monitor only Saboteur, with 16 shades of green.