News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Usng CNGSoft single File Cracked games for GX4000 carts

Started by CraigsBar, 20:20, 30 April 15

Previous topic - Next topic

CraigsBar

Hi Clever people!

I woudl love to use some of CNGSofts single file cracks to make GX4000 carts to use in my C4CPC. However I have hit a snag.

Those that have trainers rely on Keyboard input so cannot be used in a GX4000. OK, not the end of the world there are always some that are not suitable. However a bigger problem is that those with no trainer (and the nice Bouncy splash screen) require the Space bar to be pressed to move from the loading graphic to the game itself. Is there an easy way to mod these single files so that the Fire Button would work as well, or instead?

That would let me play far more games on my 32" and 42" TV's rather than just the CM14 ;)

If this key cn be remapped with a Hex Editor on the DSK file, or the file itself that would be perfect, If I kno what string to search for I'd search and play with this myself. But I don't so woudl be stabbing in the dark, surely most likely ending up with Broken games alltogether.

Craig

IRC:  #Retro4All on Freenode

Nich

Quote from: CraigsBar on 20:20, 30 April 15
I woudl love to use some of CNGSofts single file cracks to make GX4000 carts to use in my C4CPC. However I have hit a snag.

Those that have trainers rely on Keyboard input so cannot be used in a GX4000. OK, not the end of the world there are always some that are not suitable. However a bigger problem is that those with no trainer (and the nice Bouncy splash screen) require the Space bar to be pressed to move from the loading graphic to the game itself. Is there an easy way to mod these single files so that the Fire Button would work as well, or instead?
Yes. Search for the bytes CD 18 BB FE 20 and replace 20 with 58. This checks if uppercase X was pressed (the Fire button produces an uppercase X).

As for bypassing the trainer, that isn't so easy. You would have to analyse the code for each individual game in order to patch it.

CraigsBar

Quote from: Nich on 21:47, 30 April 15
Yes. Search for the bytes CD 18 BB FE 20 and replace 20 with 58. This checks if uppercase X was pressed (the Fire button produces an uppercase X).

As for bypassing the trainer, that isn't so easy. You would have to analyse the code for each individual game in order to patch it.
Many thanks @Nich , I owe you one for this.

Now for me to get converting. As a proof of concept, here is the Worlds First "Speccy -> GX4000" Port. At least it's a good one.
[attach=2]
Also Credit is due to @arnoldemu for his excellent nocart tool.

Craig

Kris

Nice job ! This conversion is working fine on my CPC+ ;)

@Arnoldemu: your tool is already avalaible or just in "test" phase ?
Thank you

CraigsBar

Quote from: Kris on 08:51, 01 May 15

Thank you
I'm away for the weekend, but will be taking the MacBook Pro with me. It has a Hex Editor on it so I might do some more over the weekend and upload them on Monday.

The same trick does not work on all CNGSoft releases tho. Space Harrier and Deflektor both failed once the Hexedit mod was made. Will see what others work, or don't work. Hopefully I'll have some ready for early next week.

Craig

seanb

Quote from: CraigsBar on 23:23, 30 April 15
Many thanks @Nich , I owe you one for this.

Now for me to get converting. As a proof of concept, here is the Worlds First "Speccy -> GX4000" Port. At least it's a good one.
[attach=2]
Also Credit is due to @arnoldemu for his excellent nocart tool.

Craig

And so it begins  :-[  :P
can't wait to try it  :D
Thou shall not question Captain Wrong!

arnoldemu

Quote from: Kris on 08:51, 01 May 15

Thank you
The tool is available in source form. The source can be built on linux and mac direct from the command-line.
On windows you can use the freely available visual studio 2013 community edition.

You can use the tool now. I am about 95% confident it is making the correct results, but I want to make a test program that reads each sector from the dsk and I can then verify it is reading the data from the correct location in the cart. Then I can say it's 100%.

Craig asked me if I could add support for 80track single sided discs. Yes I can do that. I was planning to use Parados for that. I haven't started this request yet.

My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

Kris

Any link somewhere ? I didn't find it here... :-\

arnoldemu

Quote from: Kris on 13:15, 01 May 15
Any link somewhere ? I didn't find it here... :-\
CPC Plus cartridge replacement : one more
CPC Plus cartridge replacement : one more

First link has main release.
Second link has an updated main.cpp source file.

Current is v1.4.

My games. My Games

Kris

remax

Where in the wiki would a page which collects GX4000 compatibles newly created rom would fit ?
Brain Radioactivity

remax

Just a quick page. For the moment i duplicated the entry until we have more games, to make it easy to juste copy/paste/edit (Edit : Not anymore, now that i found more than one game).

Converted GX4000 games - CPCWiki
Brain Radioactivity

arnoldemu

Quote from: remax on 11:02, 02 May 15
Just a quick page. For the moment i duplicated the entry until we have more games, to make it easy to juste copy/paste/edit (Edit : Not anymore, now that i found more than one game).

Converted GX4000 games - CPCWiki
I would like to see it split into two sections, or perhaps three.

Games which are confirmed to work on gx4000 and you can use joysticks for all.

Games which work on gx4000 including using joysticks but which have some use of plus features. Includes palette for example.

Games Which do not work on gx4000, they use keyboard or 128kb or similar. It would make it easier to choose.
My games. My Games

remax

Quote from: arnoldemu on 15:19, 02 May 15
I would like to see it split into two sections, or perhaps three.

Games which are confirmed to work on gx4000 and you can use joysticks for all.

Well, that's the point of this page. Having a list of 100% working GX4000 Titles. If one title on the list doesn't comply to all of this, then it has to be removed.

QuoteGames which work on gx4000 including using joysticks but which have some use of plus features. Includes palette for example.

Well, that can make an extra column i guess. There is room for it. (EDIT : Done).

QuoteGames Which do not work on gx4000, they use keyboard or 128kb or similar. It would make it easier to choose.

For me it has to be on a different page, with a link on this page (as all GX4000 titles are plus compatible) and a list of all the remaining title (but i fear this list going to be huge and don't want to be responsible of it).

The point is having a place where people with a GX4000 and a C4CPC (or gerald if he want to preload them), can easily obtain all of the newly converted cards, being sure that they are compatibles.

Ideally, people who makes new release upload directly to the wiki/edit the table then put a link here to the page, telling what their new release are (eventually tagging as "new" if they want). It would avoid having dupes files on either the wiki AND the forum.

EDIT : As my English is really average, don't hesitate to change my Frenglish to some better English.
Brain Radioactivity

CraigsBar

OK After much fighting on the MBP today I have found the cause of the issue... iDSK does not always re-insert the patched file correctly, and therefore the patch is not always successful (Or the game crashes)

Anyway, after much cursing I have now used a VM and WinAPE to re-insert the file and this one works fine in JavaGX4000 (High Score name entry needs a keyboard)

CraigsBar

Whilst on a CNGSoft spree I thought I needed to do this one.

remax

Quote from: CraigsBar on 19:44, 02 May 15
Whilst on a CNGSoft spree I thought I needed to do this one.

Any notable problem ?
Brain Radioactivity

CraigsBar

Quote from: remax on 20:16, 02 May 15
Any notable problem ?
with this one no. It is fully joystick already I can not test on my gx4000 until Monday.

remax

Quote from: CraigsBar on 20:35, 02 May 15
with this one no. It is fully joystick already I can not test on my gx4000 until Monday.

Ok, i add it to the main list. I've also added a "nearly playable" list. By mistake, i have added your Dizzy_Spinoff.cpr that is totally non playable on a gx4000. I'll keep it until you fix it ;).
Brain Radioactivity

andycadley

BB4CPC works a treat on the real thing. Pipemania is mostly OK, you need two controllers to bypass the start bit and high score entry isn't joystick compatible but you can just hit the Pause button to get past that. I sense a fair few games where PPPPP is top of the charts for many.  :laugh:

remax

Quote from: andycadley on 21:55, 02 May 15
BB4CPC works a treat on the real thing. Pipemania is mostly OK, you need two controllers to bypass the start bit and high score entry isn't joystick compatible but you can just hit the Pause button to get past that. I sense a fair few games where PPPPP is top of the charts for many.  :laugh:

Oh, OK so it's gonna be upgraded to "Fully Working" with some comments. I though the hi-score forced you to reset the console.
Brain Radioactivity

CraigsBar

OK 2 more that seem fully GX friendly, But like before I cannot test these until Monday night when I get home.
[attach=2]
[attach=3]

And one more that needs a Keyboard to start the game (I think, can someone confirm) although it does default to Joystick control but requires a '7' to start.. GRRRR!!
[attach=4]

That's all folks for tonight, When I get home I'll see what I can do for the Dizzy Spinoffs cart. I really hope to get that one fixed... No promises tho.

Craig

remax

Testing with MESS, in the GX4000 driver, Rampage seems OK but only with one player.

Anarchy seems fine

Deflektor is not playable

(Nice, i noticed you edited the wiki  :) )
Brain Radioactivity

CraigsBar

Quote from: remax on 23:34, 02 May 15
Testing with MESS, in the GX4000 driver, Rampage seems OK but only with one player.

Anarchy seems fine

Deflektor is not playable

(Nice, i noticed you edited the wiki  :) )
Damn, I suspected Deflektor would not work as soon as I saw the menu screen. It works great on a plus where you can press 7 tho :(
Oh well, still a great game. Just added Zaxx to compensate. Now that really *is* me calling it a night.

Learning lots today.... Workarounds for cart building issues.... Modifying Wiki pages.... WOW... whatever next, Hopefully making Dizzy Carts work properly on the GX4000.

Craig