News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Taking Tiger Mountain

Started by STE86, 01:36, 25 January 11

Previous topic - Next topic

STE86

ok this is very weird.

for a while now i have told a friend of mine about playing a very good "battlezone" game on the cpc by the company "Design Design", an updated sequel to "Rommels Revenge" i played on the dragon 32 a few years before.

i kept telling him it was called by the strange name of "Taking Tiger Mountain" but we could find no evidence of its existence. now i see its listed as vapourware on this very site. This is very bloody curious, considering i only ever played cpc stuff at the local sw shop and being a c64 artist at the time had little interest in reading amstrad specific mags so i just cant see how i got this stuck in my head if it had no release. christ i can even visualise it, in its white box.

did this really never get released? anyone know anything else about it?

Steve

Johnny Olsen

Maybe it is Tank Busters

STE86

well, yes its possible and i did think that myself. but where on earth did i get the title from? it's hardly an easy one to make up :)

I knew the Name, the publisher, what the box was like but have never owned an Amstrad so why would i know this??????

was this ever "prototyped" or even previewed in a mag at the time? anyone know?

Steve

Axelay

Well there was a half or full page advert for it in an early issue of... ACU I think?  Might have been in other mags too?

Gryzor

My guess is, you're having memories from a slightly alternate universe. Like in Fringe. I bet that, in that universe, CPCs are used every day in a super-evolved form - but still 100% compatible with the original models.

Nich

Quote from: Axelay on 13:17, 25 January 11
Well there was a half or full page advert for it in an early issue of... ACU I think?  Might have been in other mags too?
There were advertisements for a game called Taking Tiger Mountain in various CPC magazines, but I'm certain that it was never released. However, Tank Busters certainly was released! I remember its appearance on an Amstrad Action covertape. It was great fun, and I was very impressed by its speed.

TFM

Quote from: Gryzor on 14:17, 25 January 11
My guess is, you're having memories from a slightly alternate universe. Like in Fringe. I bet that, in that universe, CPCs are used every day in a super-evolved form - but still 100% compatible with the original models.

That's right! And they never had a c64 there  8)

Edit: Post no. 1000!!!
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

Xyphoe

Yep, its probably Tank Busters - that too was Design Design

Congrats TFM on your 1000th post  ;D

AMSDOS

Tank Busters is an absolute Gem, I have seen advertisement for it in the early ACU I've got along with "Forbidden Planet" and "Dark Star" with some nice graphical illustrations (not actual screenshots) to give you the general idea what these games are about - all Design Design stuff!  :)

I did a search for "Taking Tiger Mountain" and came up with this Brian Eno song from the mid-70s, so I wasn't sure if you've been listening to it while playing "Tank Busters"  ;D There's also a movie going by that name from 1983 starring Bill Paxton, so perhaps had Design Design used that name there might have been some legal matters to resolve?  :-\
* Using the old Amstrad Languages :D   * with the Firmware :P
* I also like to problem solve code in BASIC :)   * And type-in Type-Ins! :D

Home Computing Weekly Programs
Popular Computing Weekly Programs
Your Computer Programs
Updated Other Program Links on Profile Page (Update April 16/15 phew!)
Programs for Turbo Pascal 3

ukmarkh

I was sorting through my old cpc games the other day and noticed a title with the exact same graphics as tank busters. I put it on the shelf, but didn't really give it anymore thought until seeing this post. I'm away in worcester at the moe on a course, back Thursday and will update.