News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Arcade versions of CPC games

Started by mr_lou, 19:17, 17 September 16

Previous topic - Next topic

mr_lou

I was sure someone had created a thread about this topic earlier, but I just can't find it, so here goes.

Playing the (original) arcade version of CPC games is very enjoyable in my opinion. But what are their titles?

Here's a few I know of:

"Star Firebirds" came from "Space Firebird"
"Gilligans Gold" came from "Bagman"
"Defend or Die" came from "Defender"
"Arabian Nights" came from "Arabian"
"Killaped" came from "Centipede"
"Kong Strikes Back" came from "Mr.Do's Wild Ride"
"Westbank" came from "Bank Panic"
"Fruity Frank" came from "Mr.Do"
"Roland goes digging" came from "Space Panic"

And then there are of course the ones that kept the name from the original arcade version, but I'm not mentioning those here.

What other CPC titles do you know of that came from an arcade game with a different name?

Ace

Another unofficial coin-op conversion and a good one indeed, is Prohibition that came from the Seibu's arcade, Empire City: 1931

EgoTrip

Killer Gorilla is a version of Donkey Kong, although Donkey Kong also exists on the CPC.

mr_lou

And "Green Beret" of course came from "Rush'n'Attack".

AMSDOS

"Smash TV" has been compared to "Robotron 2084", though "Berserk" came before "Robotron 2084", all those games are mentioned in that "Robotron 2084" page. Interesting the arcade version of Berserk was Z80 based.
* Using the old Amstrad Languages :D   * with the Firmware :P
* I also like to problem solve code in BASIC :)   * And type-in Type-Ins! :D

Home Computing Weekly Programs
Popular Computing Weekly Programs
Your Computer Programs
Updated Other Program Links on Profile Page (Update April 16/15 phew!)
Programs for Turbo Pascal 3

MiguelSky

I know some of these from Topo Soft:

Desperado cames from Gun Smoke (well, it used Gun Smoke name out of Spain).
Don't you think Desperado 2 is too similar to Sunset Riders?
Metropolis is clearly a clone of Trojan.

chinnyhill10

Quote from: mr_lou on 06:15, 18 September 16
And "Green Beret" of course came from "Rush'n'Attack".

That's a completely official conversion though. Green Beret is how the game was known in the arcades in most of Europe.
--
ChinnyVision - Reviews Of Classic Games Using Original Hardware
chinnyhill10 - YouTube

Shaun M. Neary

Don't know about CPC specifically, but I believe Robocop ended up on home machines before the arcade. That could be pure coincidence though as the timeframe was neck and neck, but I know the official releases (not the bootlegs) ended up crediting Ocean Software as a result.

Tetris also made it the home machines about 18 months before the arcade saw it.

That's two off the top of my head.
Currently playing on: 2xCPC464, 1xCPC6128, 1x464Plus, 1x6128Plus, 2xGX4000. M4 board, ZMem 1MB and still forever playing Bruce Lee.
No cheats, snapshots or emulation. I play my games as they're intended to be played. What about you?

mahlemiut

Quote from: Shaun M. Neary on 19:08, 18 September 16
Don't know about CPC specifically, but I believe Robocop ended up on home machines before the arcade. That could be pure coincidence though as the timeframe was neck and neck, but I know the official releases (not the bootlegs) ended up crediting Ocean Software as a result.

Yes, the arcade version has "Licensed from Ocean Software Ltd." on the title screen.
- Barry Rodewald

Cholo

Must be quite a lot of those arcade "clones" or "inspired" but most of them you just dont see the link.

Haunted Hedges - Pacman
Ninja Scooter Simulator - Metrocross
Who Dares Wins 2, Frontline - Commando
Ninja Massacre, Druid, Druid 2, Avenger, Rana Rama - Gauntlet/Dandy

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: Cholo on 19:51, 19 September 16
Must be quite a lot of those arcade "clones" or "inspired" but most of them you just dont see the link.

Haunted Hedges - Pacman
Ninja Scooter Simulator - Metrocross
Who Dares Wins 2, Frontline - Commando
Ninja Massacre, Druid, Druid 2, Avenger, Rana Rama - Gauntlet/Dandy

Stretching a bit there. All of those came out after the arcade, and they were all blatant clones. In fact, wasn't WDW2 the subject of a lawsuit or a cease and desist because it was too similar to Commando?
Currently playing on: 2xCPC464, 1xCPC6128, 1x464Plus, 1x6128Plus, 2xGX4000. M4 board, ZMem 1MB and still forever playing Bruce Lee.
No cheats, snapshots or emulation. I play my games as they're intended to be played. What about you?

Puresox

Troglo, Mange Calloux- Pengo
Doodlebug-Lady Bug
Nibbler-Nibbler

mr_lou

Quote from: Puresox on 05:24, 20 September 16
Troglo, Mange Calloux- Pengo
Doodlebug-Lady Bug
Nibbler-Nibbler

Lady Bug!  :)
One of the arcade games I used to play a lot, and wished existed for the CPC as well, but never found out about Doodlebug before in recent times. Can't believe I forgot that one on my list.

I also think Troglo and Mange Cailloux are great Pengo games. Gotta check out Nibbler though. Can you link to cpc-power which version you're thinking of?

Puresox

Quote from: mr_lou on 06:41, 20 September 16
Lady Bug!  :)
One of the arcade games I used to play a lot, and wished existed for the CPC as well, but never found out about Doodlebug before in recent times. Can't believe I forgot that one on my list.

I also think Troglo and Mange Cailloux are great Pengo games. Gotta check out Nibbler though. Can you link to cpc-power which version you're thinking of?
There are some great Nibbler offerings , I can never bloody remember them. I think Titus did on there arcade collection and there are some other french ones which are better , I will investigate

Puresox

I think Zygy is one of the good ones.

No I was wrong Zygy is ok but there is a really decent one out there. Will search my catalogue

Here is a few more Arcade clones.

Mega Apocalypse- Crazy Planets
Crazy Worm- Jungler

Axelino

Punchy! -----> Hunchback
Spherical ----> Solomon's key

Cholo

Quote from: Shaun M. Neary on 20:30, 19 September 16

Stretching a bit there. All of those came out after the arcade, and they were all blatant clones. In fact, wasn't WDW2 the subject of a lawsuit or a cease and desist because it was too similar to Commando?
Ah i think i read the topic wrong .. aka its CPC to Arcade and not the other way around. My bad  ;)

Token

Tank Busters -> Battle zone

ervin

3D Starstrike!
(Star Wars of course).

mr_lou

I just remembered one more too:

"Jungle Jane" / "Croc Madam" comes from ""

Puresox

Shame we haven't got a decent Pooyan clone. I love that game.

Zax- Zaxxon
Tapper-Tapper
Zolyx-Qix
Skyx-Qix(Might have got the name wrong)
Rock Raid- Asteroids

Puresox

Titus Arcade classic vol2 is a great version of nibbler. Just trying to find the other really good version

Puresox

Have you tried Nibbler, by Mosaic Soft? That ones not bad too. I still haven't located the best example , which I am convinced there is another top version out there

Python- by Chip Software. I think this is the best Nibbler clone on the CPC

mr_lou

Quote from: Puresox on 04:38, 24 October 16Have you tried Nibbler, by Mosaic Soft? That ones not bad too. I still haven't located the best example , which I am convinced there is another top version out there

Python- by Chip Software. I think this is the best Nibbler clone on the CPC

It's kinda funny you bring up that game.
I only saw it for the first time in my life like a few weeks ago on MAME. Thought it looked interesting - until reaching the 2nd and 3rd level, at which point I already found it impossible.

Then a documentary pops up on Netflix about the game; "Man vs Snake" which I've watched half of now. Tells the story of Tim McVey who scored a trillion points in that game by playing a days in a row on a single quarter....   :o

People seeing the game back then also said: "Wow that's fast. How can anyone play this game at that speed???", and then they started playing it themselves and surprisingly suddenly could handle the speed themselves too.

And then you bring up the game in this thread.

Looks like this year's retro gaming might end up focussing on Nibbler and clones.  :)