News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Converted GX4000 .cpr - The topic (repository link in first post)

Started by remax, 22:14, 04 May 15

Previous topic - Next topic

Phantomz

MYTHOS from Opera Soft

INSTRUCTIONS

The game is now Joypad Only!

J1 Dpad to Move
J1 B1 to Fire
J1 B2 or UP to Jump

Console Pause Button to Pause / Unpause
J2 B1 to Restart

Modifications for this GX4000 version:
    - Removed Spanish Trainer by NICH to make clean version with Intro Animation
    - Patched keys
    - Made new poked version with Trainer Menu

cwpab

Quote from: iXien on 18:01, 15 July 24
Quote from: cwpab on 10:14, 15 July 24Here's a a couple of very famous games that surprisingly haven't been converted yet:

- Prince of Persia: This was already discussed 6 months ago. The reason is the difficulty to adapt the save feature, as the console can't write in cartridges. I guess they could port it, but you would have to complete the game in one go. Another option discussed (and instantly discarded) was a level selector. I personally believe a level selector would be enough, and then the challenge would be to complete each level wihout losing any health. Or maybe a level+health selector could be created.

- Xyphoe's Fantasy: This was ignored 4 years ago. The reason is that the person suggested to convert 20 games in the same message. Also, perhaps the game is not that great outside of graphics and not that many people want the conversion. In any case, it feels like a more needed addition to the catalog that some of the most mediocre games already converted.
The idea on the thread is to make the most clean patches as possible. So personally, I won't work on a game in which we just do "enough" to play it. Save game is as important as the password system in other console versions. It's not simple passwords, the password the game gives you when you die  takes into account your time. So no, imo a version in which you just can play levels with a level selector and need to make it in a single pass to really complete it isn't enough and distort the gameplay desired by Jordan Mechner.

Considering Xyphoes phantasies, It hasn't been ignored for 4 years, dude. But if you have the solution to make work so simply as you seem to think on a GX4000 a game that requires 128k and is stored on both sides of a floppy disk, just give us your solution.

And about "In any case, it feels like a more needed addition to the catalog that some of the most mediocre games already converted", you can keep this kind of value judgement far from this thread, please, or dive into the documentation and wow us with your own conversions.
Thanks for you reply, now I see your point of view. I also apologize if my message sounded too negative. I was just trying to give 2 interesting suggestions to the already great work that has been done.

"Ignore" is not a negative word here, I just assume a natural reaction as I would have done in your position. You guys can't work on all suggestions, so that's understood. Sorry if it sounded harsh, but I'm the first to "ignore" some messages when I receive multiple requests.

About the last statement, it's just an opinion that I believe even the people converting the games share. Some of the games are mediocre and there's no reason to get mad or offended for it. It's just what it is, but please don't take it as some sort of accusation. I remember one of the recent messages announcing a new conversion even describing the game as "not very good".

All the conversions are great and necessary, good and bad games. I feel like I needed to clarify this, so you can understand why I mendioned Xyphoe's Fantasy. It's a super famous game, and now I know the technical difficulties. With that in mind, I totally get your point of view, so hopefully you can now understand mine (a constructive one) and see that I only wanted to help in case you guys missed those 2.

Cheers and keep up the good work!

iXien

Quote from: cwpab on 18:30, 16 July 24
Quote from: iXien on 18:01, 15 July 24
Quote from: cwpab on 10:14, 15 July 24Here's a a couple of very famous games that surprisingly haven't been converted yet:

- Prince of Persia: This was already discussed 6 months ago. The reason is the difficulty to adapt the save feature, as the console can't write in cartridges. I guess they could port it, but you would have to complete the game in one go. Another option discussed (and instantly discarded) was a level selector. I personally believe a level selector would be enough, and then the challenge would be to complete each level wihout losing any health. Or maybe a level+health selector could be created.

- Xyphoe's Fantasy: This was ignored 4 years ago. The reason is that the person suggested to convert 20 games in the same message. Also, perhaps the game is not that great outside of graphics and not that many people want the conversion. In any case, it feels like a more needed addition to the catalog that some of the most mediocre games already converted.
The idea on the thread is to make the most clean patches as possible. So personally, I won't work on a game in which we just do "enough" to play it. Save game is as important as the password system in other console versions. It's not simple passwords, the password the game gives you when you die  takes into account your time. So no, imo a version in which you just can play levels with a level selector and need to make it in a single pass to really complete it isn't enough and distort the gameplay desired by Jordan Mechner.

Considering Xyphoes phantasies, It hasn't been ignored for 4 years, dude. But if you have the solution to make work so simply as you seem to think on a GX4000 a game that requires 128k and is stored on both sides of a floppy disk, just give us your solution.

And about "In any case, it feels like a more needed addition to the catalog that some of the most mediocre games already converted", you can keep this kind of value judgement far from this thread, please, or dive into the documentation and wow us with your own conversions.
Thanks for you reply, now I see your point of view. I also apologize if my message sounded too negative. I was just trying to give 2 interesting suggestions to the already great work that has been done.

"Ignore" is not a negative word here, I just assume a natural reaction as I would have done in your position. You guys can't work on all suggestions, so that's understood. Sorry if it sounded harsh, but I'm the first to "ignore" some messages when I receive multiple requests.

About the last statement, it's just an opinion that I believe even the people converting the games share. Some of the games are mediocre and there's no reason to get mad or offended for it. It's just what it is, but please don't take it as some sort of accusation. I remember one of the recent messages announcing a new conversion even describing the game as "not very good".

All the conversions are great and necessary, good and bad games. I feel like I needed to clarify this, so you can understand why I mendioned Xyphoe's Fantasy. It's a super famous game, and now I know the technical difficulties. With that in mind, I totally get your point of view, so hopefully you can now understand mine (a constructive one) and see that I only wanted to help in case you guys missed those 2.

Cheers and keep up the good work!
You know, it's not about personal annoyance. After all, there are really more important subjects in our lives than these lil'games, clearly. But for me, and other people in this thread, there is no mediocre games. The idea is to offer all the CPC magic on a system as simple to use as the GX4000. And considering the nostalgia factor around this system, what you consider just as a crap game is maybe a fond memory for some people, you see? Just as an example, Soul Of A Robot is really not what we can call a classic on CPC  ::)  But as a 7 years old boy, don't ask me why, but I spent a lot of time on it. So for me, this "not very good game" is an important game I take pleasure to be able to launch and play it easily on my sweet GX4000.

In this idea, converting little game, even when we consider them not very good (and that's why I prefer "not very good" to "mediocre", is not wasted time. And to be honest, it's usually easy to patch games.

After that, I understand your point on view about games that aren't converted yet while the seems to be evidences. Patching game is a great adventure started now 9 years ago (yes, pure madness) by @remax and great people like @Phantomz and @dragon and many others. So just be sure that if a "classic" hasn't been converted yet, it usually for a good reason.

Patching games that just require to remap keys is a thing. Modifying games to make them even more "GX4000 freindly" is a second thing (and some guys here are just magicians). But making a conversion working on a stock GX4000 while the original game requires 128K RAM, uses a savegame feature, and is stored on multiple floppy disk sides, it's really another deal.

So it's my turn to be sorry if I've been a little bit brutal. But I see so much effort on this "immortal" thread 8) , please consider that nothing is done by chance, most of the patches have been carefully thought out. Of course, if it was as simple as to patch some little early CPC games, Xyphoes Fantasies would have been converted since many years  8) And games like POP deserve a good conversion rather than some erratic modification. Wait and see.
http://homebrew.amstradtoday.com, the only website dedicated to CPC homebrew games.

iXien

Quote from: shacpc on 21:31, 16 July 24MAP GAME from Erbe Software

INSTRUCTIONS

The trivia game can now be played with the gamepad.
The data query section requires a keyboard.

In trivia game:
J1/J2 ⬅  option 1
J1 /J2  ⬆ option 2
J1 /J2  ⬇  option 3
J1 /J2  ⮕ option 4
J1 /J2  B1 exit

- Addition of gamepad buttons to the dynamics of the trivia game.
    - created a menu to choose whether the quiz game uses GX4000 mode or CPC mode. The GX4000 mode names the player as Jugador 1,2,3,4 (depending on the number of players) and records it in the record table, the CPC mode allows each name to be written.
    - Two joysticks connected to the two ports are perfectly usable.
One of the rules defined for GX4000 conversions by @remax to be added in the list is that the game must be fully playable on GX4000. That's not the case of this one. Yet, many thanks for sharing it with us  ;)
http://homebrew.amstradtoday.com, the only website dedicated to CPC homebrew games.

dragon

Adapt a game of 128k to 64k its relative easy if you have the source code of the game, because you can read it and you can know what things are in the second ram bank and what things can be moved to the read only rom.

Do it without a source code means you need reverse engine the entire game to understand  why this variable is here and what it do.It can take months even years.Only the people that love one game  expend  that time of her live to do it. Abbey of crime was one of these, as was reversed engined by manuel abadia, and that its the reaseon abbey of crime 128k can be fitted in 64k because the source code don't exist, but was reverse enginnered.

That is not the case of xyphoe.Its more easy try to find the original coders if they are alive to know if the source code exists that reverse engine it.

shacpc

Quote from: iXien on 22:07, 16 July 24
INSTRUCTIONS
In trivia game:
J1/J2 ⬅  option 1
J1 /J2  ⬆ option 2
J1 /J2  ⬇  option 3
J1 /J2  ⮕ option 4
J1 /J2  B1 exit
    - created a menu to choose whether the quiz game uses GX4000 mode or CPC mode. The GX4000 mode names the player as Jugador 1,2,3,4 (depending on the number of players) and records it in the record table, the CPC mode allows each name to be written.
One of the rules defined for GX4000 conversions by @remax to be added in the list is that the game must be fully playable on GX4000. That's not the case of this one. Yet, many thanks for sharing it with us  ;)
Hi IXie, I know, but if we stick to "the game", Mapgame is completely playable with gx4000. Mapgame has two different parts, a trivia game and an educational  application that obviously requires a keyboard. I could have modified the code so that only the quiz game would run, but I decided not to do so so that the owner of a CPC+M4 can enjoy the full version with the educational application. Therefore, I make reference to it in the information of the post.
I can no longer modify the post, but I would like to add that I have also corrected certain concepts that the programmer mistakenly included in the game, calling some provinces of Spain with their pre-1978 name??? . This correction I made to Mapgame includes the current names of the provinces and autonomous communities of Spain today.

shacpc

DOGFIGHT from Ivan Ávila

INSTRUCTIONS

J1 Dpad to Move
J1 B1 to Fire

- Patched keys
    - The system does not ask to write a name in case of record and defaults to "Jugador1"

iXien

Quote from: shacpc on 00:18, 17 July 24
Quote from: iXien on 22:07, 16 July 24
INSTRUCTIONS
In trivia game:
J1/J2 ⬅  option 1
J1 /J2  ⬆ option 2
J1 /J2  ⬇  option 3
J1 /J2  ⮕ option 4
J1 /J2  B1 exit
One of the rules defined for GX4000 conversions by @remax to be added in the list is that the game must be fully playable on GX4000. That's not the case of this one. Yet, many thanks for sharing it with us  ;)
Hi IXie, I know, but if we stick to "the game", Mapgame is completely playable with gx4000. Mapgame has two different parts, a trivia game and an educational  application that obviously requires a keyboard. I could have modified the code so that only the quiz game would run, but I decided not to do so so that the owner of a CPC+M4 can enjoy the full version with the educational application. Therefore, I make reference to it in the information of the post.
I can no longer modify the post, but I would like to add that I have also corrected certain concepts that the programmer mistakenly included in the game, calling some provinces of Spain with their pre-1978 name??? . This correction I made to Mapgame includes the current names of the provinces and autonomous communities of Spain today.
I understand, maybe you can quickly make this version with only the quiz game and to let the user to choose the CPR he want to use?  ;)

And well done for the province names correction  8)

shacpc

MAP GAME from Erbe Software

INSTRUCTIONS

In trivia game:
J1/J2 ⬅  option 1
J1 /J2  ⬆ option 2
J1 /J2  ⬇  option 3
J1 /J2  ⮕ option 4
J1 /J2  B1 exit

-  I have also corrected certain concepts that the programmer mistakenly included in the game, calling some provinces of Spain with their pre-1978 name??? . This correction I made to Mapgame includes the current names of the provinces and autonomous communities of Spain today.
   -  Two .cpr archives: 1. Mapgame.cpr full version (trivial+data consulting) to CPC's+M4.  The trivia game can now be played with the gamepad and the data query section requires a keyboard. 
                                     2. Mapgame - Quiz Game GX.cpr playable 100x100 with the GX4000 gamepad1 & gamepad2, only the quiz game.

iXien

Quote from: shacpc on 15:04, 17 July 24MAP GAME from Erbe Software

INSTRUCTIONS

In trivia game:
J1/J2 ⬅  option 1
J1 /J2  ⬆ option 2
J1 /J2  ⬇  option 3
J1 /J2  ⮕ option 4
J1 /J2  B1 exit

-  I have also corrected certain concepts that the programmer mistakenly included in the game, calling some provinces of Spain with their pre-1978 name??? . This correction I made to Mapgame includes the current names of the provinces and autonomous communities of Spain today.
  -  Two .cpr archives: 1. Mapgame.cpr full version (trivial+data consulting) to CPC's+M4.  The trivia game can now be played with the gamepad and the data query section requires a keyboard.
                                    2. Mapgame - Quiz Game GX.cpr playable 100x100 with the GX4000 gamepad1 & gamepad2, only the quiz game.
Nice, one game more in the list 8)

VanZan

Guys, sorry if this is OT, if I buy myself a GX 4000 (rather than use an emulator etc) how do I play these games? I see the C4CPC device is practically impossible to find. Thanks!

iXien

Yes, clearly it's a problem. Indeed, if you buy a GX4000, it will be difficult to play more than the official games on original cartridges. We hope to see a solution rising soon. For now, lot of newcomers on GX4000 are playing using emulation.

amijim

I guess we need to contact Gerarld again and ask him about a new revision of the perfect c4cpc module.I mean both gx 4000 and 464+ 6128+ is nothing without the easiness of the c4cpc device.Lucky me i got one back in 2015 ehich still serves me good  for me and my children babies.Amstrad veraion of pac land and nebulus and ofcourse Arkanoid will be along with green berret ,army moves ,mutant monty,into the eagles nest ,will always be in my best era of my life memories.Please Gerarld ,the pluses really needs you again.The world had not enough of your catridge module.Any thougths ?

Phantomz

HUNDRA from Dinamic Software

INSTRUCTIONS

Default Controls

J1 Dpad to Move
J1 B1 to Fire
J1 B2 to Jump

Console Pause Button to Pause / Unpause
J2 B1 to QUIT

CONTROLS CAN BE REDEFINED IF REQUIRED!

- Patched keys
    - Main Menu Changed and Remapped
    - Made Poked version with Trainer
      (couldn't find a disk with Trainer)

iXien

And this Spanish productions party time, with a fantastic work of @dragon :

LA AVENTURA ESPACIAL from Dinamic

Controls:
Any key = Enter game interface
J1UP/DOWN = Highlight an action
J1LEFT = Leave game interface
J1RIGHT = Directly go to next list in game interface
J1B1 = Select
J1B2 = In the first part only, enter input number system when required, then J1UP/DOWN to move and J1B1 to select a number.

See included instructions for more informations.

Modifications for the GX4000 version:
  - All keys patched on joypad,
  - Rolling character and number system,
  - Custom call &bb09/bb5a to insert space launch menu/coordonates in space and enter password in part b+ [s/n] options when required.

Once again an adventure game from @dragon . You will be able to save in RAM on GX4000, like in La Abadia Del Crimen. Sadly, this time only available in Spanish. But if you speak Spanish language, it's a very nice one added to the GX4000 playlist  8)

Phantomz

MEGA PHOENIX from Dinamic Software

INSTRUCTIONS

Default Controls

J1 Dpad Left and Right to Move
J1 Dpad Down to use Shield
J1 B1 to Fire
J1 B2 to Pause / Unpause

Console Pause Button to QUIT

CONTROLS CAN BE REDEFINED IF REQUIRED!

- Wait for any key on Title Screen
    - Patched keys
    - Main Menu Changed and Remapped
    - Highscore Table input bypassed
    - Poked version with Trainer

shacpc

4 En Raya from Amstar

INSTRUCTIONS

In main menu:
J1 B1 to start game
J1 B2 to instructions

In game:
J1 B1 to place the token
J1 B2 a help for good play
J1 B1 + J1 B2 exit game (human's turn)

- Patched keys
    - Translation to Spanish
    - On-game screen introduction of gamepad commands for player convenience.

iXien

Quote from: shacpc on 15:41, 20 July 244 En Raya from Amstar

INSTRUCTIONS

In main menu:
J1 B1 to start game
J1 B2 to instructions

In game:
J1 B1 to place the token

- Patched keys
    - Translation to Spanish
It's based on the French game Puissance 4 from Laurent LE BAIL, maybe you can make another patch for the original game?  ;)

shacpc

MASARAT KHATIRA from Altanerus Dog

INSTRUCTIONS

In main menu:
J1 B1 / J1 B2 start game

In game:

J1 Dpad to move
J1 B1 + J1 B2 exit game

- Patched keys in menu pokes / menu game & reset
    - Translation to Spanish
    - Two CPR: English version & Spanish version.
   -  Used dsk version and infinite lives of Cyrille Ayor61

shacpc

Quote from: iXien on Yesterday at 08:27
Quote from: shacpc on 15:41, 20 July 244 En Raya from Amstar
INSTRUCTIONS
In main menu:
J1 B1 to start game
J1 B2 to instructions

In game:
J1 B1 to place the token
    - Patched keys
    - Translation to Spanish
It's based on the French game Puissance 4 from Laurent LE BAIL, maybe you can make another patch for the original game?  ;)
I made this adaptation for personal use a long time ago, because I really like this board game. I would have to look for the version without translation...