News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

CPC-X64

Started by Sykobee (Briggsy), 09:54, 16 May 17

Previous topic - Next topic

Sykobee (Briggsy)

SyX and Tot0 have been plotting mischief:

http://retromaniacmagazine.blogspot.co.uk/2017/05/retromadrid-2017-presentado-en-sociedad.html

Translations by Google: "We proposed a series of self-imposed requirements," continues Mauri, "as being 100% compatible with the CPC, give priority to the original circuits whenever possible; Which comes standard extended (RAM, ROM, CF) so you do not have to walk connecting many extensions; Easily repairable or modifiable by the user; Or that it was possible to break some of the limitations of the CPC."

"For the Gate Array we will use a CPLD," Richard continues, "which will allow us in our prototypes to put the CPU in turbo mode or have new video modes and other advanced features."

Bryce

Looks promising, certainly more interesting than the JustCPC. The real test will be how accurately they can emulate the GA in a CPLD.

Bryce.

||C|-|E||

I like this concept a lot! Looking forward to see a working machine  :) . I also hope that the GA emulation is not too crazy  :-X

Lazy Dude

Just wonder if it would get as much attention as the speccy if it was a kickstarter?
Looks fun

GUNHED

Would be nice to have information about this board here in English. Are the producers here too? Could you guys tell us about it?

http://futureos.de --> Get the revolutionary FutureOS (Update: 2023.11.30)
http://futureos.cpc-live.com/files/LambdaSpeak_RSX_by_TFM.zip --> Get the RSX-ROM for LambdaSpeak :-) (Updated: 2021.12.26)

Lazy Dude

I clicked the link in the first post and enjoyed reading it via goongle translate!

Skunkfish

Genuinely exciting! How viable is it to create a new CPC style case and keyboard for this? And some sort of crowd funding would be perfect for this..
An expanding array of hardware available at www.cpcstore.co.uk (and issue 4 of CPC Fanzine!)

fano

I'm the author of the picture when i was at toto's home for a work session on our coleco game (i posted originaly this picture on Facebook), this is just a prototype but this version is designed to be develloped with a real GA prior to a replacement for it.I can not say more except it aims to be fully CPC compatible but owns a feature that amazed myself <3
A great thing is toto designed the PCB to replace original PCB in a real CPC, that means when you'll change PCB , you'll still have a CPC that will act like a CPC unlike you activate its extra features...
"NOP" is the perfect program : short , fast and (known) bug free

Follow Easter Egg products on Facebook !

CraigsBar

I will be buying one of these 😀

Sent from my ONEPLUS 3t using Tapatalk

IRC:  #Retro4All on Freenode

||C|-|E||

If this one becomes a reality it will be a very nice 8 bit computer (super powered Amstrad CPC clone? Amstrad CPC reborn?) with proper discrete components in most of the places  :D I would definitely go for one, or various, too  :)

XeNoMoRPH

The new Super Mega CPC+ is coming ... !!!  :o :o :o
your amstrad news source in spanish language : https://auamstrad.es

Ygdrazil

Is this amazing X64 compatible with the CPC+?([size=78%]ASIC features implemented)[/size]

What about a RPI bridge (or Accelerator board (optional): GPU / 1Ghz CPU / 512Mb RAM ) like the ZX spectrum NEXT?

Sounds like a really interesting project!

/Ygdrazil

Kris

A really good idea to keep the original case of the CPC !

fano

Quote from: Kris on 07:11, 18 May 17A really good idea to keep the original case of the CPC !
I think too ;)

Quote from: Ygdrazil on 22:32, 17 May 17
Is this amazing X64 compatible with the CPC+?(ASIC features implemented)
Nope, that's a CPC , not a Plus.I am not totO but afaik he choose to keep the CPC philosophy to add new features.

Quote from: Ygdrazil on 22:32, 17 May 17What about a RPI bridge (or Accelerator board (optional): GPU / 1Ghz CPU / 512Mb RAM ) like the ZX spectrum NEXT?
I am not electronician but afaik the X64 will be expandable

"NOP" is the perfect program : short , fast and (known) bug free

Follow Easter Egg products on Facebook !

Gryzor

This, I think is where I ask people, who can sell me a non-working CPC in perfect cosmetic condition? :D

If they manage to pull it off it'll be amazing.

And yes, I asked, elsewhere, whether a RPi could be incpororated in the overall design - not as part of the board of course, but as an add-on. I happen to have a CosmosEX for my ST (http://joo.kie.sk/?page_id=384) and it's like magic!

To be honest though, no idea what could be done with it in our context!

Bryce

I think you'll have time enough to look for a CPC case.

The project seems to still be in its earliest stages and probably has many technical hurdles ahead of it. It's more important that the design has been refined, polished and thoroughly tested before being released or sold. The guys have a lot of work ahead of them, so give them the time and space needed to make this as good as it can be.

Be patient :)

Bryce.

roudoudou

IMHO that's two differents projects that can be done separately. The case and the board.
My pronouns are RASM and ACE

Gryzor

Oh, but I am patient. My birthday's not till September, so...

Gryzor

Quote from: roudoudou on 13:11, 19 May 17
IMHO that's two differents projects that can be done separately. The case and the board.

But I don't think they're doing a case. A case is a whole different beast, I don't think anyone can tackle it that easily. 

roudoudou

Quote from: Gryzor on 13:12, 19 May 17

But I don't think they're doing a case. A case is a whole different beast, I don't think anyone can tackle it that easily.
Yes they dont. It's another job as i said  ;D

But if anybody else has skills to study the case we have to find it!
My pronouns are RASM and ACE

dragon

If is  a Next step to the future  cpc. It need hdmi embebed.

Seriusly. If the chinnese people can made a nes noac with hdmi apart of normal vídeo out. Why not hdmi in the cpc (apart of normal old rgb out). Each year more  tv manufacturers take out scart and rgb from tvs.

In five  years more nobody sell tvs with scart even the little tvs.

villain

Very cool project.

Concerning cases... Never thought I would ever say something like this about a Spectrum-related product, but for me the case of the ZX Spectrum Next is the ultimate benchmark for a classic-looking modern retro case.  8) It's soooooooo beautiful. I already thought about buying it just for owning the case.  :doh:

http://www.specnext.com/

Duke

Quote from: dragon on 19:31, 19 May 17
If is  a Next step to the future  cpc. It need hdmi embebed.

Seriusly. If the chinnese people can made a nes noac with hdmi apart of normal vídeo out. Why not hdmi in the cpc (apart of normal old rgb out). Each year more  tv manufacturers take out scart and rgb from tvs.

In five  years more nobody sell tvs with scart even the little tvs.

HDMI would obviously be nice, but again, if you want to remain compatible with existing CRTC effects, I think that would be really hard to achieve with HDMI (not impossible).

Anyway cool project, best of luck @TotO

Skunkfish

In a hypothetical custom case for this:

Would you retain the floppy drive bay? If so, I imagine it would need top support both 3" and 3.5" drives? Or would a separate external floppy case be better?

I imagine space for an HxC LCD screen would be useful? And somewhere to mount the HxC internally?

For me, 464 style coloured keys are iconic and an absolute must. Custom key caps are hugely expensive in low volume though. Should the CPC keyboard layout be retained? And if so, which version?
An expanding array of hardware available at www.cpcstore.co.uk (and issue 4 of CPC Fanzine!)