News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Laptops and floppy drives

Started by Munchausen, 19:34, 06 February 13

Previous topic - Next topic

Munchausen

So for a while I've been wondering if there is a way to connect a standard floppy drive to a laptop, so that I don't actually have to lug an old laptop (i.e. old enough to still have a floppy drive) around with the amstrad just to access floppies (and given that USB floppy drives dont work).

Today I began searching for possibilities, thinking of PCMCIA floppy drives you used to get. However, I soon discovered that most of these needed a special PCMCIA implementation that was only available on the laptops they came with, and that at least Linux doesn't support them anyway, meaning probably even new versions of windows dont (and mac os probably never has). There are some real PCMCIA floppy controllers out there, but they are expensive and hard to find :(

SO, then I thought, maybe you could hook up a PCMCIA SCSI controller and use an old SCSI floppy drive. It looks like this might actually be possible, but given that the parts are hard to find it could be a laborious and possibly quite expensive experiment.

Now maybe other members are aware, but I've only just discovered that there is a solution to this problem already, kryoflux make a USB floppy controller that seems to be able to read/write just about any floppy, though it isn't cheap.

Of course, it's probably easier to just use an HxC, but this could still be handy!

robcfg

Kryoflux is long known, and it's a great piece of... hardware  ;D

Really, I have one, and it's great for creating images of a lot of formats. But then again, it depends on what you do want to do with the disk drive.

I have a kryoflux, and a 3.5" disk drive in my computer, and a 3" drive on another PC.