News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Making a datassette lead for CPC6128

Started by protek, 08:23, 29 April 14

Previous topic - Next topic

protek

I'm thinking about making a datassette lead. The connector and the basic idea is pretty straightforward but a few clarifying questions.

Does it matter, whether I connect remote to pin 1 or pin 3?
Pin 4: data input is ear and pin 5: data output is mic, right?

Bryce

Remote should have two wires and needs to be connected to pins 1 AND 3, otherwise it doesn't work.

Ear and mic is as you stated.

Bryce.

protek

Quote from: Bryce on 08:27, 29 April 14
Remote should have two wires and needs to be connected to pins 1 AND 3, otherwise it doesn't work.
Meaning that if you have a shielded wire, you connect the core to one pin and the shield to other pin, and nothing to ground?

Bryce

No, the remote pins are the two sides of a normally open switch. Neither should be connected to gnd or a shield. Two normal wires should be connected to each pin.

Bryce.

protek

Bryce

Just to explain it in more detail, here's how the remote signal works. The CPC side is a software controlled relay with the two sides of a normally open switch going to the cassette port. Neither side of this switch is connected to 5V or GND (for a good reason), ie: a completely passive switch.
On the cassette player side, one of the wires going to the motor is "broken" and goes to the remote socket. Re-connecting them (with the CPCs relay) starts the motor. However, whether the cassette player "breaks" the positive wire or the negative wire is unknown. And more importantly, the motor voltage is unknown, it may be using a 9V or 12V motor. That's why the CPC side needs to be completely passive and definitely not connected to 5V or GND!

Bryce.

pelrun

And then you do something silly like I've done, and wire up the cable so it treats the remote signal like an android headset button, so I can pause playback of tape files from my phone :D