News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Problems with PNG and GIF images

Started by Nich, 20:52, 01 December 07

Previous topic - Next topic

Nich

I have just spent a lot of time creating a gallery of images from Electric Lantern Show to highlight Jill Lawson's fantastic work, after being away from CPCWiki for a while. However, I have been experiencing a lot of problems!

First of all, I am amazed that CPCWiki still doesn't seem to support images in PNG format! >:( I tried to upload a PNG image and CPCWiki seemed to think it was a plain text file, and therefore I am unable to view the image once it has been uploaded.

So I resorted to converting the images to GIF format, and was able to view these images successfully. However, once I created the gallery, all the thumbnail images treated any black areas as transparent! ???

Now I know why Ygdrazil has been using JPEG images for his demo screenshots and galleries.

Is there any way of fixing these problems, other than using JPEG images (which are not really ideal for CPC screenshots)?

Ygdrazil

Hi

Yes that is exactly why I have been using jpg's for the demo gallery's!

I will however update the gallery's with png versions of the pictures when png images is properly supported by the wiki.

I to have been baffled by the behavior of gif images! (rescaling of pictures seems very dodgy)

Currently I am preparing a major upload of new demo articles. This time every demo article will contain either a direct download or a link to external download of .dsk images (seems to be supported) also video review of the demo (via youtube - which is a great feature of the cpcwiki). Every demo will also be categorized by year of release!

A more pressing matter though is the behavior of the multiple file upload form :-)

/Ygdrazil

CPCLER

Hi Ygdrazil

Nice... the new categories makes it more easy to navigate the demo entries!

But somehow you must have forgotten to create the categories theselves as articles..

So I have done that now, hope you don't mind..

Over 500 demo entries!!!

I wonder how many demos was made for the CPC all in all?

/CPCLER

Quote from: Ygdrazil on 09:33, 02 December 07
Hi

Yes that is exactly why I have been using jpg's for the demo gallery's!

I will however update the gallery's with png versions of the pictures when png images is properly supported by the wiki.

I to have been baffled by the behavior of gif images! (rescaling of pictures seems very dodgy)

Currently I am preparing a major upload of new demo articles. This time every demo article will contain either a direct download or a link to external download of .dsk images (seems to be supported) also video review of the demo (via youtube - which is a great feature of the cpcwiki). Every demo will also be categorized by year of release!

A more pressing matter though is the behavior of the multiple file upload form :-)

/Ygdrazil

Gryzor

Indeed - the figure is very impressive if you ask me, I had no idea back in the day...

Ygdrazil

Hi CPCLER

In my archive I have approximately 750 demos!
But I think my archive is somewhat outdated..
A quick glance at cpcscene.org shows that I miss some demos in my archive.
Also I have quite a few demos still stored on 5.25" floppy's never transfered to .dsk files.
All in all I think there has been made around 1000 demos for the CPC!!
If cracktros counts as demos this number will be much higher!
Hopefully all those demos will have entries on the CPCWIKI in the future  ;D

Merry X-max!

/Ygdrazil

Quote from: CPCLER on 14:10, 05 December 07
Hi Ygdrazil

Nice... the new categories makes it more easy to navigate the demo entries!

But somehow you must have forgotten to create the categories theselves as articles..

So I have done that now, hope you don't mind..

Over 500 demo entries!!!

I wonder how many demos was made for the CPC all in all?

/CPCLER