News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu
K

R-Type

Started by Keith A Goodyer, 04:08, 25 February 10

Previous topic - Next topic

Gryzor

@Xyphoe: yeah, he *is* right. What is it, like one-fourth of the screen? Of course it's not the same when it's a two-player mode, but still...

@TFM: can we wait for it? :D :D :D

AMSDOS

Yes I came to own Xybots on Tape years ago cause it seemed like the best game in the store at the time!  :laugh:  Why it's like that I cannot be certain, it is a multi-loading game, though the level data is so small one would hardly notice - especally if it's on Disk!

My best guess why it's a small playing screen maybe because it's trying to reproduce the game from the arcade version, one of the aliens in particular spirals around quickly while shooting you and at a larger scale would probably slow down quite significantly perhaps.
* Using the old Amstrad Languages :D   * with the Firmware :P
* I also like to problem solve code in BASIC :)   * And type-in Type-Ins! :D

Home Computing Weekly Programs
Popular Computing Weekly Programs
Your Computer Programs
Updated Other Program Links on Profile Page (Update April 16/15 phew!)
Programs for Turbo Pascal 3

TFM

Quote from: Gryzor on 19:20, 03 December 10
@TFM: can we wait for it? :D :D :D

... alreday asked MacDeath to create Mode 1 Picacho-like-Sprite to roam in R-Type world...
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

Xyphoe

Here you go guys!

First preview video is now online!  ;D ;D ;D

ENJOY!!!

sigh

Great use of the pallete. The way the ship moves looks incredibly smooth. Will they work on getting the backgrounds 1 pixel scrolling or leave as is?
The sound effects and music are lovely and it does make me sad that it wasn't done this way before.

Lots of good stuff being developed. Looks like it could be a quality year for the CPC.

fano

Quote from: Gryzor on 12:53, 15 January 11
Officially sanctioned? :)
Yes  :) I must thank again Xyphoes as he has been very patient as we had high requirements to avoid too much spoiling so he had to remake it several times.

Quote from: sigh on 12:54, 15 January 11
Great use of the pallete. The way the ship moves looks incredibly smooth. Will they work on getting the backgrounds 1 pixel scrolling or leave as is?
The background and second background layer (and some enemies like turrets) move at pixel step.As we keep Spectrum gameplay , other moves are char based (4pixels).In fact ,this is a real Speccy port  :laugh:
"NOP" is the perfect program : short , fast and (known) bug free

Follow Easter Egg products on Facebook !

Gryzor

It's an amazing job.

Concerning scrolling: at first it bothered me - but after the first couple of seconds of gameplay I really forgot about it...

TotO

The game scrolling is "wide pixel perfect". (foreground, and multi-layers background)
But ... The video come from an emulator (first problem) and it's not synced with the youtube framerate. (second problem)
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

Xyphoe

Yes that's probably true, I've not tried it on a real Amstrad yet - still waiting for my 3.5" drives to arrive

Is anything 'special' happening with the scroll at the bottom that would be affected in WinApe then recording a vid?

Normally the framerate is fine for most games, however I notice on some games that use special techniques or hardware scroll (eg Killer Cobra) it does end up juddery in the outcome.

TFM

Thanks Xyphoe for this amazing video! And thanks to the dev. team. You guys did a wonderful job. That's a great version of R-Type, and for sure the best on 8 bit systems by far.
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

TotO

"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

viddi

Wow, this is STUNNING!

Well done, guys.

spybro

Quote from: TFM/FS on 05:24, 16 January 11That's a great version of R-Type, and for sure the best on 8 bit systems by far. 

great remake indeed.the greatest?no  have a look at master systems port

MacDeath

PCEngine/coregrafx16 is indeed superior...

concerning the SegaMasterSystem I don't know, for a few aspects the CPC is actually superior, so on par at best, but yeah, the new versin is surely the best 8 bit computer version or the top3 RTYPE 8 bit version...

If it manage into release.

TFM

Quote from: spybro on 00:07, 18 January 11

great remake indeed.the greatest?no  have a look at master systems port

Well, ths SMS port has bad sounds and the sprites flicker... (see youtube videos)
TFM of FutureSoft

MacDeath

But awesome Advertisment...

BTW lets compare...

SMS :

CPC6128 pre-release :

The SMS is smoother, but also bigger screen... yet some enemies waves seem slowlier... as smoother sprites and bigger screen...
Has flickering sprites issues and its share or unmasked tiles... just see Lvl2...erk...
Also greyish colours...(on lvl1...)
No "paralax" scrolling too.
Lvl3's WBattleship doesn't look well...

Bosses have no backgrounds too.
While battleship is smooth, 4th lmevel boss is not smooth and actually quite like the Speccy version animated...
And so on.

BTW still a great port on SMS.

But the CPC compares quite well actually...just... it is different of course.
The music sounds better to my ears on CPC... more Basses as Bass is a contraction from the word Badass... :D

fano

I understand your enthusiasm about the project don't think it is a good idea to compare that to SMS or C64 , especially on a video.We have no hardware support here so it is not really comparable.
You will not get anything positive, except trolls  :laugh:

TotO

Quote from: MacDeath on 07:51, 19 January 11
The SMS as smoother sprites and bigger screen...
SMS display 256x192 like many 8-bit computers. But it's borderless ! (look bigger)

I agree Fano, don't feed the troll !

Gryzor

Come on, guys, MacDeath is not a troll!

I was thinking, today, this is a huge job. I wish I could understand how you did it... can you remake Out Run next? ;)

fano

Quote from: Gryzor on 17:42, 19 January 11Come on, guys, MacDeath is not a troll!
:laugh: I wasn't thinking about him but about some C64 fanboyz.Except that , he is our assumed troll  :laugh: (qui aime bien châtie bien  :P )

Quote from: Gryzor on 17:42, 19 January 11I was thinking, today, this is a huge job. I wish I could understand how you did it... can you remake Out Run next? ;)
Understand what ?
About Outrun , I'd say no.That's not because it is not an interesting challenge but i still have a lot of work on other projects (planning is full to 2015  :laugh: ) , i am wondering if Easter Egg will not need a second programmer  :o

TFM

Well, I like the new CPC version the most, and I like Trolls - in hot oil in my saucepan ;-)
TFM of FutureSoft

Xyphoe

Quote from: fano on 13:00, 15 January 11
Yes  :) I must thank again Xyphoes as he has been very patient as we had high requirements to avoid too much spoiling so he had to remake it several times.

LOL thanks dude, no problem and was my pleasure, even after the 4th version of the vid was done! hehe!  ;)

The video is already nearly up to an incredible 1,300 views in less than a week! Nice to see such massive interest! I would say when you make this available for download, make sure you setup some kind of counter on the web server to see how many times it has been downloaded, will make interesting reading.

I must say I am impressed with the SMS version, they've done a great job there and almost perfect (as much as can be expected) conversion.

I would say there is a 'wish list' for the Easter Egg CPC port, and there's lots of request being posted around various forums and in the vid comments.

In terms of 'small tweaks' that if it didn't happen I wouldn't care, but it would be nice..... personally I would like to see -

1) The 'bouncing lazer' weapon move faster, have longer length and also change colour - one thing I loved about the original CPC port is how it cycles colours! Very cool!
2) The introduction of your craft right at the start of the level ... doesn't move too smoothly and is a bit slow. It's not a big gripe, but I first time I played it I was thinking 'oh no, I hope it doesn't move as slow and clunky as this' ... then the game started and all was well in the world! :D But first impressions do count.
3) When using 'Mixed' audio mode (both music and SFX) it would be nice to have a sound effect each time you shoot. Obviously you're firing a lot and it would mean losing a channel of music each time so I guess that's why you didn't do this, but would be nice to have the option to have that with as the first few times of playing it feels really empty and weird when other weapons make noises and there's explosions going on.
4) The star field is present (yay) but it's very dark in the background and moves very slowly. One thing again I did love about the original CPC port is how fast and colourful it looked, it made the game feel really exciting! However as discovered later it wasn't well coded and caused big slowdowns - so do whatever suits for the speed of the sprite movement etc which is priority.

That's just a small and 'petty' wish list really. If I think of any others I'll edit and post there.

Really though, I think the main thing would be looking at improving the scrolling of the level areas, it could just be emulation but it doesn't appear to be that much smoother than the original although thankfully we don't have it appearing in chunks at the side of the screen (yuck!)

Anyway, sorry the criticism above and silly wish list ... with any game/program you can forever just keep going back and back to make changes and improvement - where will it end? When would it ever get released? So anyway, I think it's clear I absolutely love what Easter Egg have done and its amazing work and achievement - so if nothing else got changed - I would still think it's absolutely awesome  ;D ;D ;D Really though guys, its all well and good watching a video but you really have to play it to appreciate how tight and responsive the controls are and how smoothly and quickly sprites move around.

viddi

Nice wish list, Xyphoe.

But I strongly disagree with this view:

Quote from: Xyphoe on 05:23, 20 January 11
3) When using 'Mixed' audio mode (both music and SFX) it would be nice to have a sound effect each time you shoot. Obviously you're firing a lot and it would mean losing a channel of music each time so I guess that's why you didn't do this, but would be nice to have the option to have that with as the first few times of playing it feels really empty and weird when other weapons make noises and there's explosions going on.

;)

redbox

Quote from: Xyphoe on 05:23, 20 January 11
The video is already nearly up to an incredible 1,300 views in less than a week! Nice to see such massive interest! I would say when you make this available for download, make sure you setup some kind of counter on the web server to see how many times it has been downloaded, will make interesting reading.

R-Type is da bomb.  The CPC is da bomb.  Perfect combination to make the C64 fanboyz cry and the CPC reign supreme  ;)

Nice to see you've registered the easter-egg.fr domain, does this mean other projects are on the horizon?  I would love to help mais ma programmation n'a pas de style francais, ne suffit pas  :-[

TotO

Quote from: Xyphoeone thing I loved about the original CPC port is how it cycles colours! Very cool!
Original arcade laser don't have color cycling.

Thanks for your constructive feedback ! (don't hesitate to report more by email ;) )
Some points are WIP.