News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

ACID chip inside

Started by MacDeath, 13:52, 23 October 09

Previous topic - Next topic

dragon

Or best,you can write a circuit with logical gates using xilinx maybe?.And put the picture.?

redbox

Quote from: nocash on 20:04, 16 February 10
Got it! Fixed some mistakes in my proggy, found out that one of the 17 bits is ignored in the comparisions. And now the compare/adjust stuff is working fine :-)

Does this mean we now can bypass the ACID chip and use something else instead to make our own cartridges?

OCT

Quote from: redbox on 21:59, 16 February 10
Does this mean we now can bypass the ACID chip and use something else instead to make our own cartridges?
Yup. :D
Implementing nocash's algorithm in a microcontroller, we could even use its outputs to toggle the chip-enables (and/or an extra address line) of one of several EPROMs (SMD if need be) crammed into one "monster" cartridge with a menu that triggers the final ROM selection, recreating the demonstrator in a much smaller form factor. Or even a "remote reprogrammer" with some kind of Zigbee/Bluetooth or similar (of which there are implementations aplenty for various microcontrollers) in the cartridge, which would use an EEPROM like the SYMBiFACE II and be fed the appropriate ROM image via wireless RF from a PC.
Wish I had some dev gear (and a Plus!) around here to join in the fray...
Won't be long before we get the likes of SymbOS and FutureOS on "homebrew" cartridge either I guess.

dragon

QuoteLet's see, 13th-16th February, 4 days altogether. Hmmmm, I claimed I could do it in 2 days, damn :-) but it's been a funny action-research time. Didn't do that kind of stuff for a while. Maybe I should go on with the NES, it has a similar chip - does somebody know if it's still unknown how the lockout chip in NES works?

You can see the know about nes chip here:

http://hackmii.com/2010/01/the-weird-and-wonderful-cic/

redbox

Quote from: OCT on 22:18, 16 February 10
Yup. :D
Implementing nocash's algorithm in a microcontroller, we could even use its outputs to toggle the chip-enables (and/or an extra address line) of one of several EPROMs (SMD if need be) crammed into one "monster" cartridge with a menu that triggers the final ROM selection, recreating the demonstrator in a much smaller form factor.

Wow, this sounds truly awesome!!!  I salute you nocash  :)

I'm going to have to get into this and start brushing up on some electronics. 

MacDeath

Ok, so now we have to figure clearly how to use 256ko and 512ko Roms on thoses cartridges, and also how to do GX4000 compatible programms/games, with "easy" howtos.

Concerning the GX4000 incompatibility of the existing bootlegs carts, it must come from the fact those are often CPC games simply put into carts, so the keyboard may still be needed... rendering the GX4000 unfit.

Yet I've read that the GX4000 has really some differences from 6128Plus/464Plus.
What are they ?

A Symbos "lite" version runing from a cart yould be great.
Or any OS...

An advanced Cartridge with the good old Basic, an advanced "Plus" basic, C/PM-Dos like OS, and perhaps a GUI...

Or else a complete PLUS Development applications kit put on ROM is clearly a great possibility.
Music and sounds Programs too.

And we know 512Ko is really more than enough to do awesome stuff on the Amstrad.
512Ko + a disc Drive is perhaps at last "a dream comes true", to unleash the beast.

Would reduce the need to get Ram/Rom boxes a bit...

To design a proper modern MultiEprom Cartridge will really be a turning point, a milestone, and getting GX4000 compatible new productions the start of a new retro-life for all those covered in dust in the many consoles collections.

When this is verified, tested and approuved with this implemented in a programable Chip/Microcontroller or whatever, we must find the cheapest componnents able to do it, design a proper board, find the good and cheap components...

And manage a "production".

No need to get a Manufacturer to solder or assemble thoise.
Just gathering componnents as "solder/assemble it yourself" kits.
So only the Printed circuit is to be produced, the rest just bought in good quantity to enable cheaper price.
Yet ideally, a plastic Body/box would be sweet too...

Getting all those programable chip programed...would be the longer part perhaps.

And here we are.
We all got our longly awaited Multi eprom Carts...Soon ?

Thx to Fano for the sacrifice of one of his Cartridge.

Thx to Nocash for the sacrifice of 4 days.
:-*

It took 20 years and 4 days.

then THE question :
Who will release the first 512Ko cartridge Amstrad Plus' MegaDemo and win all 8 bit Demo competitions with it ???

fano

OMG :o he did it ! congratulation Martin !
"NOP" is the perfect program : short , fast and (known) bug free

Follow Easter Egg products on Facebook !

nocash

Many thanks for the cartridge, fano. Been fun to play with it!
I mean, play with the chip, not with the game.

Here's the pseudo code. Basically it repeats every CLK cycle.

if PinCCLR=0 then ShiftReg=1FFFFh
CmpVal=13596h, XorVal=0c820h
if PinA0=1 then CmpVal=CmpVal XOR 0000ch, XorVal=XorVal XOR 00004h
if PinA1=1 then CmpVal=CmpVal XOR 06000h, XorVal=XorVal XOR 06000h
if PinA2=1 then CmpVal=CmpVal XOR 000c0h, XorVal=XorVal XOR 00080h
if PinA3=1 then CmpVal=CmpVal XOR 00030h, XorVal=XorVal XOR 00020h
if PinA4=1 then CmpVal=CmpVal XOR 18000h, XorVal=XorVal XOR 08000h
if PinA5=1 then CmpVal=CmpVal XOR 00003h, XorVal=XorVal XOR 00000h
if PinA6=1 then CmpVal=CmpVal XOR 00600h, XorVal=XorVal XOR 00000h
if PinA7=1 then CmpVal=CmpVal XOR 01800h, XorVal=XorVal XOR 00800h
if PinOE=0 AND (ShiftReg OR 100h)=CmpVal then ShiftReg=ShiftReg XOR XorVal
NewBit=ShiftRegBit0 XOR ShiftRegBit9 XOR ShiftRegBit12 XOR ShiftRegBit16
ShiftReg=(ShiftReg SHR 1) + (NewBit SHL 16)
PinSIN=ShiftRegBit0

Guess I should do some extra tests on the timings. At the moment, I couldn't say if /OE is processed on raising or falling edge of CLK, or independently of CLK, on raising or falling edge of /OE itself.

Hmmmmm, just noticed, the smileys are now animated :-/ is that new? Something wrong with this century, they have no nose, but they are in color and do twinkle. Only wonder how long it takes until somebody invents smileys with audio layer.

> http://hackmii.com/2010/01/the-weird-and-wonderful-cic/
Wow. Cool. If the date is correct, it seems to be only a month ago that the NES chip was rev engineered. With the 4bit cpu it's a good bit more complex than the acid, must have been a damn interesting project to decipher the instruction set.

Octoate

Quote from: nocash on 09:07, 17 February 10
Here's the pseudo code. Basically it repeats every CLK cycle.
Thanks a lot. That's more understandable for me :). I hope that I have the time to play a bit with it during the weekend.

Only wonder how long it takes until somebody invents smileys with audio layer.
Oh no... please not :)!
--

Bryce

Impressive work nocash, well done. Are you going to put together the hardware solution for the crack cartridge too now? It looks like it could be done either with regular TTL chips or (probably a neater solution) emulated in a low-cost PIC.

It also looks like the chip reacts very similar to the patent you mentioned earlier (using a PRBS Generator or similar), have you checked whether the ACID is reacting in a similar way? Or maybe the ACID is an adaptation or progression of the patent?

I had been looking for a CPC+ and cartridge to crack the ACID myself, but now I want one even more, just to try out the crack :)

Bryce.

arnoldemu

Many thanks for the cartridge, fano. Been fun to play with it!
Great work nocash!
I am really impressed by how quickly it took you to do this.
I too would love to eventually see a cartridge PCB with PIC on it emulating the ACID.

Ok, now it's time to start converting and enhancing lots of games for cartridge ;)

And now, maybe you have now either opened the flood gates for the Polish to mass produce cartridges at crazy prices, or you have now forced them to lower their prices  ;D

My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

MacDeath

And it cost us no ca$h...
:D

dragon

Hey nocash if you emulated the acid in pic,you need search a name for the new chip.

UCID maybe?(users cartridge identification device) :).

MacDeath

ACID is a drug...
Crack is a drug too...

CRAK chip ?
Or HEMP ?
WEED chip ? ;D

Or Amstrad Cracked Identification device ? simply...

BTW, I modified the ACID cpcwiki page for the occasion.

Also, you spanish Amstraders...you have some experience in Cartridges, would you help and share with the rest of europa ?

I hope those would be available in Madrid, next month....

Bryce

How about "Base" or "Alkaline" ie: Neutralises Acid.

Bryce.

Octoate

Quote from: MacDeath on 12:37, 17 February 10
BTW, I modified the ACID cpcwiki page for the occasion.
I saw that, but TBH, I don't like the way, the page currently looks. Now the ACID article doesn't show the technical data of this chip but your little story about "The End of the Darkness". If you want to keep that, you should either move that story to be the last chapter of this article or to the talk page. This is just my opinion, maybe others like it...
--

Ygdrazil

I think Octoate is correct  ;D

Maybe the story could be moved to be the last chapter of the arcticle, factual information first... !

/Ygdrazil

Quote from: Octoate on 14:19, 17 February 10
I saw that, but TBH, I don't like the way, the page currently looks. Now the ACID article doesn't show the technical data of this chip but your little story about "The End of the Darkness". If you want to keep that, you should either move that story to be the last chapter of this article or to the talk page. This is just my opinion, maybe others like it...

MacDeath

Fixed.

Concenring my text :

of course it bring no technical stuff, yet it was a humorous way to mark the event.

It may be removed or put Elsewhere then (a page in Amstrad History perhaps ?), once the technical stuff are added.

That's the good thing with a Wiki : such thing are not definitive.

I let to better technicians than me the job to add the technical and serious stuff.

Then I'll put my "writefaggotry" elsewhere, perhap at the NoCash page ?

QuoteHalf of spain probably already has a soldering iron in their hand
Or even notorious Polish Bootlegers...

Also I just found this :
http://poubelles.be/forum/viewtopic.php?id=2999&p=3

It was about time ACID to get cracked.

This website is about people recycling electronic component to extract valuable metals.
And one of the guy sems happy that the Amstrad Cartridge is full of valuable stuff to recycle.

OMG, he aim to destroy it ? how many has he already destroyed ?
It's even a Basic Cartridge, the one needed to run the computer.

I'm sure such guy found and destroyed the entire Chase HQ unreleased stock, and even GAZZA II 's cartridges...

Bryce

"The end of darkness" is well written and humourous, but I find it takes away from the technical achievement, results and data a little. I'm sure nocash will have enough content to fill the ACID page with tonnes of technical information within the next few days/weeks and maybe (hopefully) even a picture of the setup he used. Did you (nocash) document (ie: take loads of pictures of) the project as it progressed? I'm also looking forward to the first implementations of this information. Half of spain probably already has a soldering iron in their hand :D

Bryce.

robcfg

I'm already warming the soldering iron...  ;D

OCT

Quote from: MacDeath on 12:37, 17 February 10
ACID is a drug...
Crack is a drug too...
[...]
WEED chip ? ;D
As in:
Wireless EPROM Emulation Device ? ;)
Would be most appropriate if you actually get the microcontroller to talk Bluetooth for EEPROM downloads over the air (so no cable will ever be literally a "terminal" one anymore, zapping one of the computers involved due to the difference in potential).

QuoteAlso, you spanish Amstraders...you have some experience in Cartridges, would you help and share with the rest of europa ?
I hope those would be available in Madrid, next month....
So to flatteringly win their favours it's gotta be named El Cid, then. :D
For we know The Force is strong in these ones...
Well, since we're not the Illuminati it can't be too close to Heute Hanf, morgen Hanf, immer Hanf all the time anyway. ;)

Trebmint

Does this mean we should all start writing 512Kb Plus games then? Liking that idea

OCT

Trebmint: Exactly. And with even the last bit of protection pried wide open now, got to release them for free (well, there hadn't been a commercially viable market for CPC games for a decade and a half anyway) as there'll forever be nocash (congrats again, pun intended ;)).

Quote from: Bryce on 12:50, 17 February 10
How about "Base" [...]: Neutralises Acid
With the added advantage of being a very fitting retro reminder of the immortally memed Zero Wing:

(As recycled in: PH34R R L33T SK1LLZ :D)

Grim

Just verified Nocash's algorithm against real ACID SIN output, it works great! :)

Congratz dude! If you're looking for other chips to crack, there's the 3 PALs of the Multiface Two waiting for you (I bet on 3 days :)