News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Games for HxC

Started by mr_lou, 20:05, 28 August 12

Previous topic - Next topic

mr_lou

Soon I'll be receiving my first HxC floppy emulator. And later I'll be using one in my CPC+ too.

So, I need to put some games on a SD card. I'm pondering about simply downloading everything from the NVG FTP server, unzipping, converting to hfe, and then indexing in A, B, C etc folders.
That will no doubt take some time. But I'm wondering, surely someone out there must have done this already?

Maybe I could be so lucky to just get a copy from you?

khisanth

I did what you said and found one problem. Having so many games means its really annoying having to navigate to the game you want as everything is in alphabetical order. The menu navigation on the HxC is a little user unfriendly and confusing sometimes.

So I would select your favourite games or keep the number down to say less than 100 to make it easier to find them.

Bryce

The HxC has no problem with sub-directories. I've made A to Z sub-directories on my SD card and you can find the game you want in seconds, although I have almost every CPC game that ever existed on the card.

Bryce.

khisanth

I forget if you can hold down the "next" button or have to keep pressing it to cycle through the games?

Bryce

Of course. If you hold down the key it repeats and you can flick through the images pretty fast.

Bryce.

mr_lou

I've also used sub-directories.

My biggest problem is that while the sub-directories are infact in alphabetical order, the files inside the directores are not.
I can live with it because there aren't that many (yet). It would be nice to have a Sort option, like just C64 owners have with FB64.

To otherwise fix it, I imagine one has to manually copy all the files in each directory to make sure that get copied in the right order.

Bryce

There are two programs available that will automatically sort the files on your SD Card. NVC is a complete file manager for SD cards with a sort function. DriveSort is a simple sorter. You can get both here: SoftwarePC_en - SIO2SD Wiki

Bryce.

mr_lou

Quote from: Bryce on 08:40, 03 September 12
There are two programs available that will automatically sort the files on your SD Card. NVC is a complete file manager for SD cards with a sort function. DriveSort is a simple sorter. You can get both here: SoftwarePC_en - SIO2SD Wiki

Awesome! Thanks, I'll check those out.

mr_lou

Well, none of those tools can help me.
DriveSort just is too much trouble. Got it working with Wine but can't get access to the drive for some reason.
NVC requires a suffix, which I don't use. It also seems to ignore folders and just save all files in the same root folder.

But maybe some bash script could be made that copies one file at a time....

Bryce

I think Gryzor mentioned some other program at some point, that also does sorting. Maybe he can recommend something?

Bryce.

Gryzor

Yes, damn, this pops up every now and then and I always forget what I had used :D

For Linux you can try this: Homepage of FATSort Utility

Last time I used this: YAFS - Yet Another FAT Sorter and what do you know, it also has a Linux version...

mr_lou

Awesome! That first utility is part of the Ubuntu repository, and it works great!  :)

Gryzor