News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Amstrad 6128 PLUS

Started by sigh, 19:11, 05 January 11

Previous topic - Next topic

arnoldemu

Quote from: redbox on 11:18, 20 January 11
Is there any way to patch the OS to stop this happening?
no.
The problem is the fdc is hung waiting for a response.
And you can't AFAIK reset the fdc without turning the computer on/off or using a reset button.
So it's tough luck!
You could detect it has hung and display a message, but then the fdc is out of action until it's reset.
My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

Bryce

You could "edit" the hardware to reset the FDC without resetting the CPC. To do this you would have to isolate the reset pin (1) of the FDC from the reset bus with a diode and then add a reset button and a resistor on the isolated side. This would then reset the FDC without resetting the CPC, but would also reset the FDC if the CPC is reset. But it does mean either making a change to the PCB (cutting a track) or cutting pin 1 of the FDC, which most people wouldn't be happy doing.

Bryce.

sigh

Still searching for the "holy grail" UK plus. I really don't understand how a machine made in the UK can be found everywhere else - apart from in the UK! :laugh:

Gryzor

You're not wrong on that...  for every UK model I've seen there are 10 QWERTY ones out there!

Bryce

Uk ones ARE Qwerty??  :D

Bryce.

arnoldemu

Quote from: sigh on 01:21, 18 March 11
Still searching for the "holy grail" UK plus. I really don't understand how a machine made in the UK can be found everywhere else - apart from in the UK! :laugh:
464 plus on ebay now.
My games. My Games

arnoldemu

Quote from: Gryzor on 08:00, 18 March 11
You're not wrong on that...  for every UK model I've seen there are 10 QWERTY ones out there!
the uk one is qwerty!
are you sure you don't mean azerty? (which is the French keyboard).
Anyways, if you find azerty it's fine, just plug in a English cart and put stickers over the keys.
My games. My Games

Bryce

The most annoying thing about the French Plus is having to press shift to use the number keys!!! Who in their right mind, thought that this is a good idea?

Bryce.

fano

Quote from: Bryce on 10:32, 18 March 11
The most annoying thing about the French Plus is having to press shift to use the number keys!!! Who in their right mind, thought that this is a good idea?
Am French and agree ,  i never use theses keys , only numpad.
"NOP" is the perfect program : short , fast and (known) bug free

Follow Easter Egg products on Facebook !

redbox

Quote from: Bryce on 10:32, 18 March 11

It does mean not having to use shift when typing RUN"DISC though  :)

Bryce

True, but if the file is called "2Test-14.ROM" you're back and forth between shifted an non-shifted characters much more than with a "normal" keyboard.

Bryce.

sigh

Quote from: arnoldemu on 10:18, 18 March 11
464 plus on ebay now.

I may as well just wait and get a UK 6128 plus as it has everything needed in one casing.

steve

There is probably a market for 464pluses upgraded to 4128pluses.

TFM

Quote from: redbox on 13:19, 18 March 11

It does mean not having to use shift when typing RUN"DISC though  :)

Use Control+small Enter instead ;-)
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

remax

Quote from: Bryce on 13:26, 18 March 11
True, but if the file is called "2Test-14.ROM" you're back and forth between shifted an non-shifted characters much more than with a "normal" keyboard.

Bryce.

Use COPY instead  ;)
Brain Radioactivity

Gryzor

Guys, French keyboards are QWERTY and UK ones are Dvorak, after a few beers. 'nuff said.

Bryce

Wow, that must be really good beer :D

Bryce.

Gryzor

Well, saying "masticha shots" wouldn't have the same ring to it.

sigh

I was wondering that if I were to buy a french/spanish/german machine, but found a UK Keyboard membrane - would that do the trick? Sorry for such a question but I'm not that clued up on hardware :(

Bryce

The membrane is identical in all Pluses, the only difference is the text written on particular keys and the installed Cartridge. If you put a UK Cartridge in a French Plus then all you need to do is make some stickers for a few of the keys and it's a uk Plus.

Bryce.

sigh

Quote from: Bryce on 23:02, 22 March 11
The membrane is identical in all Pluses, the only difference is the text written on particular keys and the installed Cartridge. If you put a UK Cartridge in a French Plus then all you need to do is make some stickers for a few of the keys and it's a uk Plus.

Bryce.

Okay thanks. I seem to be complicating things ;D

Executioner

If anyone can find a supply of QWERTY Plus keyboards, I'd like one too as I have a French 6128 Plus with ParaDOS cart (so my keys don't do what they say). It's easy enough to type so long as you don't look at your fingers.

Devilmarkus

Well, I used half of an old CPC 6128 Keyboard to make my AZERTY keys QWERTY.
I took the upper part of the old keyboard (black plastic frame incl. all keys), removed a few plastic noses, and attached it to the lower part of the + keyboard (metal frame with membrane)...
Because the noses were missing, I fixed the membrane with adhesive tape.

The keyboard works fine!
When you put your ear on a hot stove, you can smell how stupid you are ...

Amstrad CPC games in your webbrowser

JavaCPC Desktop Full Release

redbox

Quote from: Executioner on 02:23, 23 March 11
If anyone can find a supply of QWERTY Plus keyboards, I'd like one too as I have a French 6128 Plus with ParaDOS cart (so my keys don't do what they say). It's easy enough to type so long as you don't look at your fingers.

Me too.

I've been tempted just to swap some of the keys around so it's QWERTY, but this means the numbers and a few symbols are wrong...

arnoldemu

Quote from: Bryce on 23:02, 22 March 11

Bryce.
I agree. I don't understand why people are not willing to do this.

In fact, on my 464+ there ARE stickers over some keys. They seem to be fairly well done, and even match the colour of the keys.

So perhaps the best here is, what sticker makes the best choice for putting on keys?

But if anyone wants to give me an azerty keyboard, I'm happy to accept one ;)
I can give them a qwerty one in return, but some keys don't work on it ;)
My games. My Games